Chapter Forty-Eight

Darkness.

That's all I could see.

There was no moon in the sky, no moon flowers illuminating the woods. It was like they all lost their light. It was like I lost my light.

In the distance, a speck of light beamed from a cabin. It was the only cabin lit for miles. I eyed it for a moment, not wanting to move, but knowing Valerio would send someone out for me if I didn't return.

My legs moved towards the light, wishing it would lead back into his arms, wishing this was all some sort of wicked dream. The hollow, yet heaviness in the pit of my stomach slowed down my already sluggish pace. Time was moving so quickly... or was it going too slowly? I couldn't tell anymore. It felt like I just met Damon, but he was already fading from my memories.

And, I hated it. How could he just leave my consciousness? How could the man I loved the most leave me? Was I selfish for asking such a question?

Yes.

This was my fault.

After what seemed like hours, but was only mere moments, I finally approached the cabin. The same cabin Valerio and I shared at Damon's pack house.

I closed my eyes, my hand grazing against the door handle. Memories of children dying, memories of iron and blood, memories of my friends and family haunted me.

I yanked on the knob to the front door, trying to get in, but the door wouldn't budge. I yanked harder and harder, making the door shake on its hinges. Tears streamed down my cheeks. "Why won't this damn thing open?! Why won't it... open?"

My chin trembled. I put my fist to the wood, pounding on it, hoping Valerio would hear me.

Suddenly, the door opened and Valerio peered out, his brows furrowed together. "...the door was ope-" When he saw me, his eyes widened, and he held his arms out, wrapping them around my body. He pulled me out of the darkness and into the light of the cabin.

I wrapped my arms around him, clutching onto his body for dear life, like if I didn't he would disappear from my life too. "How could he do this, Valerio?!" I screamed. "How could he do this?" My knees gave out beneath me.

He stroked my hair gently. His eyes glowing like his wolf was ready to burst out of his body at any moment.

"How could he betray me?" I said. "How could he do that? I trusted him!"

Valerio's canines lengthened as he stared out the window. My heart ached.

I needed to stop, stop being weak over him, but I couldn't. He made me strong. He made me happy and warm. He made me want a family... and now... that would never happen.

I frowned up at Valerio. He tried to be strong, but I could tell how much this was eating him up on the inside. After wiping the tears from my stained cheeks, I pulled myself out of Valerio's embrace and straightened my back, faking confidence and strength.

"We will stop him. We will make him pay for what he's done. We will make him regret ever hurting us. He's will be sorry that he hurt me," I said.

But, would I be able to? I had absolutely no way of knowing when or if he would attack me again.

After a few moments, Valerio nodded, glancing down at my chest. He inhaled sharply, his brows furrowing.

My fingers grazed against my chest and then trailed alongside Damon's bite mark. His memories raced through my mind like a distant yet familiar memory. I've replayed them so many times, it felt like I remembered the memory so intensely.