Chapter 14

The next few days were Hell. Quil helped however he could, and I appreciated it. Especially when he'd call me and make plans for us so I didn't have to think too much.

“Hey, Allie. Wanna go see Face Punch tonight? Jake's been blowing me off for Bella and Embry hasn't talked to me since he got mono,” Quil said. His voice crackled through the phone as he spoke a million miles a minute.

“Sure Quil. I'll drive down to Port Angeles,” I said. “Wait, are either of us old enough to get in?”

“Yeah, I'm 17,” he said.

“No you're not Quil, and no one else is gonna believe it,” I said. “Why don't we just go see the new Avengers movie instead. It plays like ten minutes earlier.”

“Yeah, sounds good,” he said. “I'll have Mom drop me off at your place about five?”

“Sounds good,” I said.

“See ya,” he spoke quickly before the line went dead.

I ate dinner with Dad, just the two us. It's become our normal again. Bella doesn't eat much unless she's with Jake. Gag me with a rusty spoon. Pretending they act like they're in love makes it easier for me to deal with because you don't really get a say in who you fall for.

As promised, Quil was dropped off at my house at 5:00. I met him out front and we both got into my car and headed to the movie theater.

After the movie, I walked out of the theater ahead of Quil while laughing at some joke he made about an actor.

“Alessandra Mae,” Jake's sharp voice cut my laugh short.

“Oh, hey, Jake,” I said.

“What the fuck are you doing here with Quil?” Jake asked. Quil was getting angry, but I grabbed his arm and he calmed down.

“Why does it matter? It's not like we're dating,” I shot his words back at him.

“I don't see why you need to hang out with my friends,” he said, growing increasingly angry.

“Jake, we can talk after you calm down,” I said. He took off out the doors, shaking out of anger.

“What's his issue?” I asked, turning to Quil.

“I have no idea. I'll try to talk to him tomorrow,” Quil said, rubbing my arm gently. I was panicking a little about Jake's reaction to Quil and I seeing a movie together.

“Allie, where's your jacket?” Quil asked as we walked outside of the theater.

“I don't need one,” I said, shivering slightly even under my hoodie.

“Here,” he said, taking his jacket off and draping it over my shoulders.

“Thanks,” I said, smiling for the first time in days.

“Smile more hon. It looks good on you,” he said. I rolled my eyes as we got into the car.

"Quil, I don't wanna lead you on in anyway," I said, turning the key so my car would heat up.

"I know. I like you a lot Allie, but you're in love with Jake, so being your best friend is enough for me," he said.

"You're amazing Quil," I said. "You're going to make someone very happy someday."

"Thanks Allie," he said. I shrugged his jacket off my shoulders and gave it back to him.

"Just promise me you'll stay my best friend, because it's become just the two of us," I said.

"I won't ever hurt you," he said.

"Thanks," I said softly.

"You really are beautiful," he said.

"Thank you," I said. I glanced at the time, realizing it was getting close to nine. I put the car in reverse and started the drive home.