Chapter 19

“Hey, Bells,” I said, knocking on her closed bedroom door. She was literally last resort for company since Quil had gotten sick a few days ago.

“It's open,” she said, inviting me into the room. I opened the door and noticed Jake standing there shirtless. We made eye contact, and I wanted to forgive him and run into his arms and kiss him. I don't know what, but something happened when we made eye contact that time.

“I'll come back later, or we can talk in the morning,” I said to my sister as Jake stared at me.

“No, what's up?” She asked.

“It's nothing, really. You have company,” I said. I was still livid at Jake, even if I did want to run into his arms. I turned to walk away.

“Aimes, wait,” Jake said.

“Why? So you can tell me who I can and can't hang out with?” I snapped. I pulled the door shut, and could've sworn I heard him whimper like a kicked puppy.

I was sitting at the table, working on some stuff for college, when my phone rang. It may only be May, but my senior year starts in three months and I need to be prepared.

"Hey, Allie, let's go do something," Quil said.

"We can go to the beach if you want," I suggested.

"Yeah, sure," he said. He must've gotten over whatever he had.

"Cool, um, I'll be down in thirty minutes or so, I'm working on something," I said. He agreed, allowing me to finish up what I was working on. I drove down to the beach quickly, being met by an anxious Quil.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Something's wrong," he said. "I don't know what, but something's wrong with me Allie."

"Like what?" I asked.

"My fuse is getting shorter, and my body is filling out. I'm scared I'm going to get sucked into that black hole that is Sam Uley's cult," Quil said, tears running down his face.

"Quil, everything is fine. You're just psyching yourself out," I said.

"Allie, I'm serious," he said.

"Quil, come on, just sit down with me and meditate," I said. We sat down facing the water and meditating. We'd learned from his grandfather a few months back when we were concerned that Embry's fuse was getting shorter.

"Allie, we should probably head home," Quil said, snapping me out of my trance.

"What?" I asked. "Oh, yeah."

"Thanks, I, uh, I needed that," he said.

"I figured. I'm just glad you're okay," I said.

"Me too," he said. "I'll see you in a few days." He walked me to my car so I could drive home before dad got worried about me.

"What's going on?" I asked, walking into the kitchen. Jake was standing there talking to my dad.

"Bella took off for Italy to save Edward," Dad said. I nodded, leaning against the doorway.

"I'm going to head in there and give you two some space," Dad said, leaving the room.

"Allie, look, I didn't mean to hurt you," he said, stepping closer to me as we made eye contact.

"I know. No one ever does," I said. "That doesn't change the fact that it still hurt my feelings."

"I know, but maybe you'll let me try to fix things," he said.

"I think I could try," I said, smiling at him.

"That's all I'm asking Aimes," he said.

"There's something else, isn't there?" I asked.

"Harry Clearwater died of a heart attack. Charlie and I are headed down there soon to help out. You can come if you want," he said.

"Yeah, I think that'd be best. I'm sure Leah and Seth are devastated," I said, trying to keep my cool. Harry was the uncle I never got, so losing him was not something I ever imagined would happen.