Chapter 35

A few days after the wedding, my senior year of high school got started. Everything went really well for the first few weeks. Bella fell ill on the island, so her and Edward were hanging out there for a while before coming home.

"There's been reports of suspicious behavior in the science building. All classrooms go into lockdown now," the principal's voice came over the loud speaker.

"What's that mean?" Hadley, a new girl in my science class asked.

"Potential active shooter on campus," I said as we all began building a barricade in front of the door.

"What?" She asked.

"Calm down," I said, pulling her into my arms and leading her to a spot against the wall. "Stay here and stay quiet." She nodded and I went back to work with the guys, building a barricade out of desks and chairs.

"What do I do?" The sub who was in for our usual Physics teacher asked.

"Here," I said, taking the class roster from her. I started taking attendance as everyone else lined up against the wall.

"We're all here," I said, sliding her the attendance book and scooting across the floor to the computer.

"What're you doing?" She asked.

"I helped build the email system. Uh, sorry, it transmits emails without sending off a signal as to where any of us are located. Helps track students, and hopefully the shooter themselves," I said, emailing the principal that we were all here.

"Thanks. What now?" She asked. I led her to the teacher's spot.

"Stay calm and quiet," I said before returning to my spot beside Hadley.

New Text To: Dad.

I'm sure you're here. Stay safe. Love you.

New Text To: Jake

Hey. I love you. Don't ever forget it.

"Turn off your phones or we're all going to die," one of the guys said. I couldn't tell who it was, but I knew the comment was directed at me. I silenced my phone, but refused to turn it off. I turned off all location settings and sat back, feeling the anxiety wash over me.

I knew Dad wasn't coming in. That was S.W.A.T.'s job. He'd stay outside and keep the crowds of parents coming to the school under control.

I heard muffled voices in the next room and the sound of the barricades crashing down. The kids started screaming and it sounded like things were bing thrown. Then gunshots. One. Two. Three four five. Six. Seven eight nine. Ten. I held my breath and clamped my hand over my mouth, silently praying they wouldn't get in here.

"Where is she?" Someone screamed.

"Scott, we'll find her, but you've gotta put the gun down. You know her dad's never going to let you see her like this," a soft and calm but also stern and demanding voice said.

"Where is Allie?" He asked again. All eyes turned to me. I'm the only Allie in this place. Scott. I kept trying to put a name with a face until it finally clicked. Scott Adams. He had a crush on me all through middle school and most of high school too. I'd turned him down multiple times.

My entire world froze as I heard him yelling about me. I couldn't take it as I almost broke down. My chest constricted, making it hard to breath. I forced myself to steady my breathing in attempt to stay calm enough that I didn't draw any attention to myself or this classroom.

More gunshots went off. One two three. I held my breath as more noise started up. It sounded like someone trying to get out of the room.

I heard the sound travel into the hallway before the fire alarm went off. Did he seriously think we'd get up and leave in the middle of this?

Hadley looked at me worriedly as I started silently praying for it all to end. I don't know how long but I just kept praying and praying. I could feel the air growing heavier as more gun shots sounded across campus. I closed my eyes and breathed as silently as I possibly could. I felt Hadley wrap her arm across my shoulder and rub my shoulder to help calm me down.

"This is SWAT." The door opened, probably a master key, and they started knocking down the barricade we'd built. I breathed out in relief as I saw their uniforms.

"Hands behind your head," one of the SWAT guys ordered.

"Is one of you Allie Swan?" The first guy in the room asked.

"That's me. Why?" I asked. I was still breaking down, but I was finally able to start calming down.

"We've got her Chief," he said into his radio. He smiled at me before leading us out of the school and out to where the police were. I was immediately engulfed in arms. They were definitely my father's.

"I love you. You're safe now. Go," he said, and forced me to continue moving with my classmates.

"I love you too. Be safe," I said. He nodded and went back to work helping map out what rooms still needed cleared. I could see the pain in his eyes that he couldn't hold me and comfort me.