XXVIII

~Tuesday February 1st~

Olivia and I sit next to each other, chatting softly through the conversations of the other girls at our table. However, our casual discussion is interrupted by a sudden but hushed outburst from the other side of the table.

"Olivia! Cameron's coming over here!" A girl named Laura whisper-yells. At this point, most people at our school have noticed their budding romance. Olivia's eyes widen slightly before she runs her fingers through her hair, trying to tidy it.

"Is there anything in my teeth?" Olivia asks me, showing off all of her teeth to me like I'm a dentist.

"You're good," I say laughing lightly at her. Seconds later, Cameron announces his presence.

"Is anyone sitting here?" He says, the cutest smile on his face as he looks down at Olivia, already knowing there's no way she'd stop him from sitting next to her.

"No, go ahead," she responds smiling back. He sits and they engage in a conversation which I do my best not to pay attention to. Instead I continue to eat my lunch, shoving large pieces of lettuce into my mouth and feeling mildly like a dinosaur doing so. Without someone to talk to I get bored fast, so I pull my phone out of my back pocket. Even though I don't have any notifications I unlock it, thinking that maybe I'll be able to find something to occupy myself with on it.

"Theresa-" a voice from across the table says my name and I look up to her, but she doesn't bother finishing her comment. Instead, a hand reaches from above my head and snatches my phone out of my hand.

"Noah stop," I say turning around in my seat. But, there's still a large piece of lettuce in my mouth, so I'm not even sure he knows what I've said. Hopefully my glare will portray the right message.

"Ooh, photo album," he says with a devious grin. I quickly swallow my salad to properly scold him.

"Noah Thompson, give me back my phone right now," I say as strictly and angrily as possible, throwing in my most evil glare for the finishing touch. It seems to do the trick as he looks up from my phone through his eyelashes. His shoulders slump in defeat as he hands it back to me and sits down next to me.

"You're no fun," he says, pouting slightly. I roll my eyes, not giving him the privilege of a verbal response.

"Did you eat yet?" I say when I notice that he doesn't have a lunch in front of him. It's still the beginning of the period, so he wouldn't have had enough time to eat yet.

"I forgot to pack a lunch today, but it's okay, I'm not hungry," he says. I reach into my lunchbox and find the apple that I packed with my salad.

"Here," I say, handing it to him.

"It's fine, I'm not even that hungry."

"Eat it." I say in the same menacing tone as earlier.

"Fine," he says, reluctantly taking the apple out of my hand. "Thanks, mom," he says, snickering at his own joke.

"Well, Noah, you need to eat lunch. How else are you going to feed that growing ego?" I respond with a dazzlingly sarcastic smile. Noah freezes with his mouth open, inches away from taking a bite from the apple. After a few seconds he brings his hand down and closes his mouth.

"That hurt a little bit," he says quietly, causing me to burst out in laughter. He starts to laugh too after a moment, demonstrating that I didn't actually hurt his feelings. After we calm down I continue to eat my salad and he finally takes a bite of the apple. "What are they talking about?" Noah says after a minute, nodding his head towards Olivia and Cameron.