6.4

'you're too good to be all mine, now i'm looking in your eyes, i must be seeing blind.'

(seeing blind - niall horan)

-

A.

Graduation day.

The day you dream about from the moment you step foot in high school - middle school, even. It becomes some big fantasy - the only thing getting you through the painful classes and bitter encounters being that one date you could look forward to at the end of it all - the date you would be handed a diploma, and you would leave the stress and trauma of high school behind. But you'd also be leaving behind the memories - the good ones, at that. 

I'd be leaving behind the hurt, the heartbreak - the broken friendships and upset. I'd be leaving behind the past, and that was something I was excited for.

But I couldn't associate high school with everything bad, and only the bad. High school had also brought so much good. That wretched place happened to have given me my best friends, and the man I love so much.

"Hey, pretty girl," Harry murmured against the shell of my ear, his arms winding around my waist from behind me as I stood in front of the full-length mirror in my bedroom, "your parents are waiting downstairs."

"Let them wait," I sighed, smoothing my hands over the graduation gown and the dress underneath, "why is there a part of me that doesn't want to go?"

"Because," Harry sat down on the chair beside us, opening his arms for me to sit on his lap, "it finalises everything, doesn't it?"

"Mm," I hummed into the crook of his neck, his hands resting gently on my waist.

"I see it as leaving the toxins behind," he assured me, "we won't have to see anybody who hurt us again - ever. But nothing will change with you and I, yeah? We'll have Tasha, and Luke, and Liam.. and we'll have each other. Always," he told me, rubbing circles on my waist with his thumb and nudging my jawline with his nose to press a kiss to my skin. 

I let my eyes meet his for a moment, a grin tugging at my lips as I rose my pinkie for him to take. He wiggled his eyebrows at me and sent me a grin in response, linking our pinkies together.

"My girl," he chuckled, pressing a kiss to my forehead as I looped my arms around his neck, then peppering his face with kisses, enjoying the soft laughs leaving his smiling mouth.

"I love you so much," I nuzzled into his neck, pressing more kisses to his skin as he laughed, the sound filling the room in such a beautiful way.

"I love you more," he grinned, pinching my hip, "and don't argue with me, because-"

"You two!" my dad's voice echoed from downstairs, "we're going to be late, for goodness' sake!"

I rolled my eyes, standing up from Harry's lap and glancing in the mirror a final time, "Is this dress okay?"

"It's fucking red," Harry pointed out, reminding me it was his favourite colour on me, "you think I'm gonna say no? You look sexy."

I laughed, smoothing my hands over the silky fabric, wine red in colour and reaching an inch or so above my knee, the black graduation gown on top. 

Harry's gown matched mine, of course, but he wore a white button down shirt and black skinny jeans - the shirt, something I'd forced him into when he'd desperately insisted on an old t-shirt, but we'd found a compromise in his skinny jeans. 

"Let's do this then," I sent him another smile, pecking his lips as he rested his hand on the small of my back and we made our way downstairs. 

"We're gonna be late, you two, come on," my dad pressed, heading for the door beside my mother as Harry's phone began to rang.