Chapter 3: Death or Chocolate

Knock, knock.

No response.

.

.

Knock, knock.

.

.

Knock, knock, knock.

.

.

.

Knock. Door opens.

"Ouch!"

"Oh! I'm sorry Mrs. Adam. I thought you wouldn't be coming out." I said, embarrassed that I almost knocked her forehead.

"No, Sarah its fine" she smiles, making the embarrassment flush away. "I was a little late today than usual. Come on in dear."

"Uh... no, thanks Mrs. Adam but I came here to say goodbye to you." I say, still blushing slightly from embarrassment.

"To say goodbye? Sorry child I don't understand?"

"That is... I'm leaving for the city finally and... you know the reason and all." I said, hesitantly.

"Oh! It's good to hear... for a townie like us to go city is one of the hardest decision." She looks down at her hands, remembering some worst memories that I know for sure. I take her hand and pressed it reassuringly, conveying silently that I can feel her pain.

"I'll try to find him... and if I do, I'll knock some sense into him and if necessary I'll drag him to you." she laughs sadly while a small tear trickles down her wrinkled cheek. One thing she does know quite well is that it wouldn't be that easy to reach him which is also disturbing part for me.

"Just don't get lost in the outside world," she says, looking into my eyes, knowing the painful reality that she has experienced. Mostly townies who would head for the city they wouldn't turn back to the town and mostly would turn back within a short time.

It's amusing how people act, they would leave their birthplace forever or would come running back like a dog to its owner but in the case of Mrs. Adam, it's hard to say either.

"Yes, madam!" I try to mock to lighten the atmosphere and apparently it worked.

"I wish blessings of Almighty be with you, have a safe trip, my child." We bid our goodbye's and I head towards my destination.

~~~

The whistle blows signaling the departure, black smoke ignites through the chimney, the engine forcefully pulling the wheels back and forth. I peek out of my window, waving mama and Maria goodbye.

I can see the glistening eyes of mama while Maria keeping a firm hold on her. I smile sadly towards their direction and they wave back, giving me back the same sad smile. Mama brings up a handkerchief towards her nose and blows into it.

It's going to take them awhile without me but they will manage, I sure am going to miss them.

I sigh and close my eyes, leaning back comfortably on my seat, I do a mental check of things that I will need there and things I will have to do.

If only things had been the same, I wouldn't have been on this train.

The train is moving at a good pace. I feel warm wind hitting my face through the window. I open my eyes and look outside, I see a green valley, it's so relaxing to have a look at such a beautiful view, it refreshes the mind and gives your thoughts a new direction. I close my eyes again, relaxing and remembering the same feeling of the warm wind I had felt when I first met him. It was the summer when I turned five...