28

I woke fairly early the next morning and made my way straight to the labs. I'd done hardly any of my coursework, and the deadlines were beginning to creep up on me quicker than I would have hoped. I dropped Kate a quick text to say I was here, although I doubted that she was even awake at this time of the morning.

The air was still fresh when I went outside, but it was nice. The cool air pricked my cheeks, playfully, in a way I'd never really felt before. I was feeling the element of the air welcome me, to let me know that it was there.

Of course, when I went into the lab, it was practically empty save for a couple of students near the back. I collected all the equipment, set it up, and then began where I'd left off the last time I was here.

It'd been two hours before my phone buzzed.

Will be there ASAP. Kate had text me, although I knew ASAP would probably mean at least another hour.

Then, I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned, and saw a tall girl standing there, a shy smile on her face. She had tanned skin, and long brown hair tied in a plait that reached her hip bones. I wondered how long it would reach if it was let down. Her brown eyes hesitated for a moment.

"Hi, sorry." She said. "I don't suppose you're doing Peter's coursework, are you?"

I smiled. "Yeah, I am." I said.

"Are you up to task six yet?" She asked.

I peered back at my work, having lost track of what task I was currently working on. "Yeah, I just finished it. Took me ages to get it." I sighed.

"I was wondering if you could help me out a little? There's just a small bit that I can't get my head around." She laughed nervously, but seemed nice.

"Yeah, sure." I got up and followed her over to her work.

"My name's Sanita." She said.

"Millie." I smiled. Sanita then sat down at one of the computers and proceeded to tell me which bit she didn't understand, and so I set about giving her as many hints as I could without actually handing her the answer.

"Oh!" She suddenly exclaimed. "I get it!" She quickly did some typing, in case she should suddenly forget, before sighing with relief. "Thank you so much. You're a life saver."

I laughed. "Ah, it was nothing. Just let me know if you need anymore help."

"Thanks, Millie." Sanita said, and so I went back to continue with my own work.

When I got back to my computer, I noticed that Kate had arrived and was just logging onto the computer next to mine. "Oh, hey Kate." I said, sitting down.

"Hey, Mills." She said. "How long have you been here?"

I looked at my watch. "Nearly three hours."

"Damn, girl. Where you up to?"

"Task seven." I said. "Finally managed to get through task six at long last."

Kate furrowed her brows. "Is it really bad?" She asked.

I shrugged. "Apparently it's the worst one."

"Shit." She whimpered. "I've only just started task five."

"You'll get there." I encouraged her. "I didn't think I'd ever make it, but here I am." I grinned.

"Okay." Kate said, determined as she set up her equipment and plugged her earphones in.

__________

Another three hours passed, before I was beginning to feel the strain on my eyes from the computers, and the heaviness in the room as the labs filled up. It always got really hot in here, no matter what time of year, and would get especially loud as the day went on. I liked to listen to music, however I wasn't the kind of person who could work and listen to it at the same time. I'd always get too distracted by the lyrics and make mistakes.