Chapter 33 - Even the Scent of Flowers Can't Mask the Coldness of Winter

When Feng Yao glanced up in the direction of where Ru Qiang was looking, she couldn't help widening her eyes in surprise at the scene in front of her. 

In between the towering trees of the forest was a large walled enclosure, built entirely with heavy and sturdy stones. The large walls stretched out as far as Feng Yao could see in either direction and protectively hid the inside buildings from view. 

Despite being located in the middle of the forest, the walls looked pristine as if they were thoroughly cleaned every single morning. It was almost like there was an invisible barrier between the estate and the forest around it. Not even a single leaf dared to fall close to the wall's barriers.

"Welcome to the Jun Clan's Main Estate." Ru Qiang's voice was oddly quiet as he led their horse closer to the gate. 

It was only then that Feng Yao's gaze flickered upwards and noticed the large sign above the metal gates. Immediately, her eyebrows furrowed together in thought.

Contrary to the rest of the impressive impeccable walls and sturdy gate, the metal plaque that held the characters spelling out 'Jun Clan Manor' was incredibly plain and almost overlook-able. Instead of elegant calligraphy, the characters were just a standard font no different than what one could see by strolling in the streets of the city and reading the signs of various vendors. 

If it wasn't for the way that it was placed directly above the gates, her attention would have never been called upon it. It even almost felt out of place compared to the rest of the extravagant architecture in front of her. 

As they got closer, the four male guards standing at the entrance of the gates simultaneously bowed. They were all dressed in the same armor-clad black uniform with glimmering swords hanging threateningly at their waists. 

"Welcome back, Young Master."

Something in their low voices made Feng Yao pause, but seeing that Ru Qiang didn't react, she kept her thoughts to herself as she watched him swiftly jump down from their horse.

Silently, she studied his calm demeanor and emotionless face that had, at one point without her noticing, already hardened into a cold mask.

Without looking at her, he held his opened hand next to her. Feng Yao's eyes searched his, but he refused to meet her gaze. Eventually, she let out a small sigh before holding onto his hand and sliding off of the horse's saddle to stand next to him. 

Her body slightly leaned against his for support, but he didn't seem to mind as he kept his hand steady around hers. Ru Qiang knew that her wounded leg was already starting to act up again.

"Li Yue," he quietly called out, and instantly, Li Yue appeared in front of them both. 

"Young Master?"

"See the horses safely back to the stable." Ru Qiang nodded towards him, and Li Yue immediately bowed.

"Of course."

Xi'er similar dismounted off of her horse and came to Feng Yao's other side to help support her by the arm. As soon as she did, Ru Qiang quickly dropped his hand and stepped further away from Feng Yao, leaving a gap wide enough to warrant not even the slightest suspicion between them.

However, Feng Yao's facial expression didn't change in response to his actions. To the guards who tried to look as if they weren't secretly studying her, it appeared as though she was completely oblivious to their Young Master's rejection. 

But of course, that was a lie. She was one of the ones who knew exactly what Ru Qiang was doing.

To their curious onlookers, he made it look as though there was no relationship between the both of them, not even a friendly one. But in a way, he was also giving her a hint.