Chapter 18. Plotting

Evan's POV

I drummed my fingers continuously on the throne as my minister listed the problems occurring with the residences of Veneton. This was really the most boring work to do. As a lord, I have looked into all the problems of my pupils but they are never satisfied. No matter how much I try, the vampires and the humans always have a problem with each other.

My mind drifted to Elina. What must she be doing? Yesterday she was so amused looking at the mystic falls. Her eyes were glistening with excitement. I could look at that face for eternity. She was really different, unlike other women who throw themselves on me.

I snapped my head in the direction of the minister when he said that there was a masquerade ball for all the royals. So, that means all the Royals would be present there. Even them.

I said my minister to inform that I would be present at the ball with my escort. Royal Balls weren't something to miss. We could gather so many new rumours and information. All I need is an escort. I think I know who to ask for. I smiled at her thought and dismissed the court.

Elina's POV

Walking in the gardens at night was something I enjoyed a lot. The cool wind surrounding along with owl hooting on the tree. The gardens looked enchanting and beautiful at night. Everything made the surrounding so calm like there was no worry in this world.

When I was small, I and Olivia use to collect different weeds of flowers and sow them in our garden. Those days were amazing.

I brushed my fingers on the beautiful purple rose petals. I have never seen purple roses. They were pretty.

"They are the rare roses. You can pluck one if you want" I almost jumped due to the sudden voice. "Oh! I didn't mean to scare you" said Evan.

"It's okay. You just startled me" I said holding my palm against my chest.

He just smiled and joined me for a walk in the garden. Sometimes, I really don't understand whether he is really so sweet or just acting so. One part of my mind says to believe it but the other does otherwise. Whenever I think he is actually a good man, the image of him killing Maria flashes in my mind. I know killing Maria wasn't his fault. In fact, it was my fault. But that doesn't mean he never killed anyone without any reason. But then, after all, he is a Lord. I saw him from the corner of my eyes and all I could see was the sweet gentleman standing beside me, not any murderer.

"Elina" I turned my head to look at him."Why don't you visit your parents? On the day you got drunk, I heard you say in your sleep that you miss them."

I should probably stop sleep talking. I've rarely talked about my parents after they died. I just did not feel like talking about what happened. I had to face this. I can't always run away from the truth.

Inhaling a long breath, I replied "They died twelve years ago"

"I am sorry. How did they die?"

"They...they were" anger bubbled inside me. I felt mix emotions. Sadness. Misery. Anger. I still loathed that vampire who killed my parents. If I ever saw the vampire again, I don't know whether I would be able to resist myself from killing him. And just like that, I burst out all my anger.

"They were bitten to death by a vampire who first devoured them and then left their corpse to rot," I said each word with pure hatred.

Evan looked flabbergasted and shook his head "Where did you live at that time?" he asked in a very serious tone.

What was wrong with him? He was again acting weird like something had hit him on the head.

"I lived in the forests of Iris. The restricted forest. Why?"

He shrugged "Just Curious."

"What about your parents?"

I don't know from where that came. I just wanted to clear my mind off of my parents. Stephen once told me that he was Evan's adopted brother but I never came to know about Evan's parents. No one talked about them. It was like some mystery everyone avoided speaking.

"They were killed by werewolves, I suppose. I never came to know who killed them," he replied staring at the roses.

"I am sorry."

He hummed and said something which sounded like 'Don't be sorry'.
I didn't know what else to say. So, I decided to stay quiet. I know how it feels when you can't find the person who took your loved ones away from you. And believe me, it's the worst feeling.

You feel responsible for what happened to them. You feel like you could have rescued them. At the end of the day, you realise you couldn't do anything to save them.

"Oh well. I wanted to ask whether you can be my escort for the masquerade ball?" He asked changing the topic which took me by surprise.

It took a few minutes for me to register what he said. I nodded like a fool indicating a 'YES' without even realising. He smiled warmly at me. I felt a gush of air and then he was nowhere. Vampire abilities, I say.

I hugged myself as I felt the winter wind brushing my skin raising goosebumps all over. I was again alone in the garden. In a blink of an eye, Evan stood in front of me again.

"I forgot one thing," he said before cupping my face and sealing my lips with his. He kissed me softly and gently. His hands dropped from my face, One arm tightened around my waist pulling me impossible closer to him while the other entangled in my hair. I felt all the heat rush to my face and electric waves surrounding us. I was immobilised at the spot when he backed away.

"Good night, Elina." he gave a Cheshire cat grin and disappeared again.

Unknown person's POV

My gums stung with pain and a tremendous scream left my mouth. The ivory blonde haired woman sat beside me and continued filling blood inside my mouth forcefully through her sliced wrist as I struggled against the chains that held me uptight to the concrete floor.

"What are you doing to me, you bitch?" I spat at the woman.

"Better mind your language," she warned in her icy voice and continued filling my mouth and got up abruptly, eyeing me up to down. "You know what? You should thank me. I am making you powerful than normal beings." she said still checking on me for any effects.

Another scream escaped my lips as my eyes glow golden and two sharp fangs descended down my gums. I felt like I acquired some kind of eternal power. With one jolt I broke the chains and barged at the woman and bowed my head.

I didn't understand this sudden change. I felt like I owe my life to this woman. Like I must serve her till my death. I felt like I am sired to her.

"I see. The transition is successful." The woman said with an evil smirk.

I nodded.

"Now, let's build our army, make more of your kind and take down the vampires" her evil laugh echoed in my ears.