19 | Impossible Propositions

I HESITATED at Archer's words... more like orders.

"Either get in or continue getting wet."

I looked to the pellets of rain hitting his windshield and so, putting all sense and reason aside, I opened his door and got in.

The interior was dark and the lights low, and strangely, I found it more comforting than terrifying.

Like in Bill's car, everything seemed brand new, untouched, almost as if he'd just driven out of the showroom now. I began to feel very aware of the water droplets falling down my skin and the damage they would do to literally everything around me. Archer made no complaint. In fact, he seemed entirely unbothered by me entirely.

For whatever reason, probably because he'd saved my arse by giving me a lift, I felt guilty. He hadn't been forced into getting me out of the rain, he'd done it out of the goodness in his heart... I withheld a scoff. Even if it wasn't because he was a nice person, I still felt bad for throwing that coffee over him. Yes, he'd been a dick, but this ride definitely made up for it.

I turned to him.

I had to admit, the view wasn't so bad. His side profile was damn near perfect; a straight nose, full lips, defined jaw, and eyelashes far longer and darker than he deserved.

"I'd like to apologise," I told him, breaking the tense silence. "For ruining your shirt. I'll pay to get it cleaned." Okay, maybe that wasn't the wisest of things to say, but I supposed it was the least I could do. I would just have to resort to other means to make money. Like selling my organs on the black market.

"I didn't like that shirt anyway," he said, lips tipped upward at the edges— if only ever so slightly. It was a refreshing change from his usual indifference and stoicness. I didn't feel so... on edge. "Besides, I was unapologetically rude to you. I'd say I deserved it."

I wanted to nod along, say 'damn right you did', but restrained myself.

"I must admit I'm surprised how nice you're being."

He raised a brow, turning the wheel slightly as we went round the corner. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, you're an 'Elite'," I said, raising my hands subconsciously to do the sarcastic gesture. "And I'm, well, me."

"You?"

We continued down the road, now straight so the gates and school were nearing and in plain view.

"Yeah, me," I sighed. "Jolie Dubois, the girl who is literally ignored around here. You know, I reckon I could make up the wildest crap about myself and people wouldn't know any different. They'd have to believe it."

He skirted his eyes over me, thinking. "Doesn't seem like such a bad thing."

"Try living it," I said. The gates opened automatically and those perfectly trimmed bushes started going past my window. He pulled up to the main entrance. "Thank you," I said as I eased my door open and stepped out.

He nodded. As soon as I'd closed my door, he'd driven off to the left and down towards where I imagined the other cars were kept.

I stood for a moment, wondering what the hell just happened.

***