Chapter Thirty-Seven "Margaret's Debut"

I stood in front of the full length mirror that Lady Edgehill insisted I need for tonight. I looked at my reflection, still in my day dress, thankful that Lady Edgehill's taste was more subdued than Patience's. The dress was simple yet graceful with the bouquets of flowers etched in green on the white cotton fabric. A green satin ribbon tied at my waist and a matching one that held my locket around my neck finished the look. The country girl that I always indentified with somehow fell away a little and I felt more refined than I had before . . . even when I was dressed in Patience's overly elegant style.

            "Miss Woodbridge?" Clara curtsied as she entered my room, "are you ready to dress for the ball?"

            I smiled warmly at her, Clara had been good to me over the past months as she stepped into the role of my ladies' maid, "Yes, I think so."

            "Lady Edgehill has sent Anne, her personal maid, to assist," she said opening the door as another woman entered carrying my gown for the evening.

            "Good evening, Miss," Anne curtsied before she laid the dress over the bed.

            "I almost forgot how beautiful it was," I breathed as I ran my fingers over the soft green fabric.

            "Just wait until you are in it, Miss," Clara smiled as she began unbuttoning my day dress, "no one will be able to compare."

            "I do not deserve this fuss," I said as I removed my locket and handed it to Anne, "but if the Lady insists, then it is to be." Once my dress was removed I went to sit at my dressing table to refresh myself a little, I dabbed some rose water along my neck, "Do you know if Mr. Edgehill going to be in attendance?"

            "I have not seen him, Miss," Clara answered as she took my dress back to the wardrobe.

            "I have not heard the Lady say either," Anne answered as she removed the ribbons from my hair and began to brush it out. My eyes fell on the pewter box that sat beside the mirror, "Mr. Edgehill has been out of sorts lately, Miss, perhaps it is good that he does not attend?"

            "Perhaps," I sighed thinking of the  pleasant times we have spent together. I caught myself remembering that conversation we had days ago and hoping that he would make it after all.

            "Don't you worry, Miss Woodbridge, the young men will be standing in line to dance with you," Clara smiled cheerily as she prepared my gown.

            "But what if I don't want to dance with them?" I smiled slyly at her as I stood and went back in front of  the mirror.

            "A young lady that does not want to be the center of attention?" Anne shook her head as she joined Clara in carefully gathering the delicate folds of the dress to help me into it.

            "I have enough trouble with the one young man . . . " I began as they draped the fabric around me, "What would I do with several?" Anne gathered my hair as Clara cinched up the back. Once she tied the ribbons, they both stepped away from me and I gazed into the mirror. The gown was truly exquisite. It was a soft shade of green in its entirety even though it had several layers. The innermost piece was a silk chemise that draped in the most divine way, over the bodice was a sheer overlay embellished with tiny pearls. Starting in the center at the waistline was an embroidered flower that rose up over my chest and fanned out into a beautiful lace. Over the skirt was an embroidered gauze draping with more flowers along the edges, I could only imagine how it would look during a dance. And even though we were into Spring, Lady Edgehill insisted on full sleeves and I have to admit that she was right. There were slight puffs at my shoulders and again at my elbows. The intricate lacework in between, as well as running to my wrists, was so detailed that I could study it for hours.