Chapter Thirty-Nine "The Waltz"

"I believe the next dance is the waltz," a voice came from behind me.

            "You will have to ask Lady Edgehill for that privilege," I retorted before I turned to find Thomas with that insufferable delightful smile.

            "Dance with me," he said and offered his hand.

            "I cannot without permission," I smiled looking around, hoping that no one was staring.

            "I don't care," he whispered, "dance the waltz with me."

            "It is improper as I am a debutante," I whispered behind my fan.

            "Again, I don't care and I will not ask permission from my mother to dance with . . . " he breathed out, "my Margaret." Just the sound him saying my name in such a way made my heart leap against my chest, "There is nothing she can do that would make this honor not worth the price." He stood there looking intently at me, his hand still out waiting for mine, "Dance with me," he barely whispered.

            "The next dance is the waltz," the conductor announced, "please clear the floor." The guests began moving towards the walls so they could be out of the way yet still watch the couples glide across the room.

            "Margaret?" Thomas asked. I felt a rush of daring flow through me so I set my fan down and placed my hand in his. "You perfect, beautiful creature." He led me to the dance floor, his smile so bright I did not want to look away for fear that I would never see it again.

            There were a few murmurs when the music began and we made our bow and curtsey. Once he placed his hand on my waist, I heard Lady Edgehill gasp, "Of course you would . . . "

            "Don't pay attention to them," Thomas whispered, "Right now it's just us."

            "But . . . "

            "Margaret," his voice was slightly assertive as he said my name, "just . . . us." The music began to swell and we started to move, he held my eyes from the beginning and as he said, the rest of the world melted away and it was just us.

            We spun and twirled and glided, it was a most exhilarating dance and for it to be just us, no changing of partners, I felt remarkably close to him. I was so caught up in the moment that I did not notice the rustling of the guests as someone approached the dance floor. In fact I barely heard the whisper, "How can you allow this impropriety?"

            "It is not so improper as you think," Lady Edgehill's voice replied, "there is an arrangement."

            "No . . . " a voice I had not heard in months echoed in the ballroom. Everything stopped including the music and the dancers.

            When I turned to see the source of commotion, the smile I had turned to shock and surprise, "Percival," I breathed as our eyes met. He said nothing but his expression spoke volumes. He turned and stormed out immediately. Another round of murmurs and gasps moved through the crowd.

            I moved to go but Thomas kept me in his arms, "Don't," was all he said. I looked about the room and Freddie caught my eye as he was moving towards the door as quickly as he could. I tried to steady my breathing, "You can't leave . . . we started this waltz and we will finish it." I gave him a nod and he turned towards the musicians, "Maestro, if you please?" Within seconds we were moving about the floor again.

            I remained by Thomas' side for the rest of the evening. He did not ask me about Percival nor did he let anyone else breach the subject. His smile was no longer as bright and cheerful as it had been, but it was not gone. As the last of the guests began to leave, I moved to the parlor and sat in front of the picture window, waiting for Freddie to return.

            Lord and Lady Edgehill retired for the evening, at most I received a "good evening" as they crossed the doorway on their way up the stairs. The servants were tending to the cleaning when a small tray with a pot of tea was set next to me, "You don't want to get cold."

            "Thomas," I sighed looking up at him, "I am so sorry."

            "For what?"

            "That disruption . . . Percival," I said lowering my head.

            "Margaret," he gently lifted my chin, "you did not know that he would come tonight."

            "But I also have not shared with you . . . my relationship . . . "

            "Relationship?" he poured me a cup of tea and then moved a chair beside me.

            "Before we arrived in London, Miss Stanhope and her brother, Percival, came to stay with us. We got along well and I enjoyed his company . . . "

            "Was there an attachment?" he asked lowly looking down into his own tea cup.

            "No," I answered, "There was nothing that I was aware of aside from friendship. And once he left us, Patience made it clear . . . "

            "And that is when you came here?" he asked. I nodded desperately trying not to meet his eyes. "How serendipitous that your sister and my mother met to form an alliance and setting up a match to further their wishes."

            "Can you forgive me?"

            "You have done nothing wrong," he said setting his tea down on the tray and then reaching for mine, "so I have nothing to forgive you for. I do have one question for you though . . . " I looked up as he paused, "do you still love him?"

            "I care for Percival very much, but love . . . " I dare say that I saw a glimmer of hope dance in his eyes, "no, I do not love him."

            Thomas took a deep breath and turned towards the fire, "Are you warm enough, Margaret?" he asked as he rested his hand on the mantle looking like he might have needed a bit of support, "Shall I get you a blanket while we wait for your brother?"