Chapter Forty-One "Wise Words"

There were two quick knocks at my opened door, "Hello sleepyhead," Freddie smiled as I turned, "I am sorry if we could not get you to bed without you waking."

            "Freddie, how could you have let him . . . "

            "What?" he asked with a curious expression, "He offered to carry you up the stairs . . . was I to say no to your future husband?"

            "It's improper . . . "

            "Yes, it is," Freddie nodded in agreement, "Just like it is improper for a debutante to waltz without permission. I heard those whispers, Margaret." I pursed my lips like I always did when he had the upper hand over me, "Don't give me that face, young lady. You know I would never do anything that could ruin your chances."

            "Except leave me sleeping in the arms of a man . . . "

            "Who is deeply in love with you," he nudge my chin after a moment of me standing there gaping. "And you're in love with him just the same." I sat on the bed just as Clara walked in with a fresh pitcher of water for my wash basin. "Ah, you're not even going to try to refute it!" he said triumphantly.

            "Did you see Percival?" I asked quietly.

            "Yes," he nodded sitting beside me, "I have both he and Faith set up at our townhouse for the night at least."

            "Was he very . . . "

            "Angry?" I nodded, "A little, but more at Patience than you."

            "Did he say anything?"

            "He said a great many things, Margaret, you will have to narrow it down."

            "Is he hurt? Is Faith still talking to me? What's going to happen?"

            "Well, his heart has taken some damage, but he will live. Faith . . . you may have to explain to her as you did me when I arrived."

            "About what?"

            "About how you went from the pits of despair over the arranged marriage you found yourself in to falling in love with the . . . how should I quote you on this . . . the horrible scoundrel that could never bring you happiness? Did I get that right?"

            "I never said that!"

            "It was pretty close," Freddie mused, "I might still have the letter in my room . . ."

            "You've made your point. I shall have to explain that to Faith. But what happens now?"

            "Well, tomorrow you and I will pay them a call . . . and I expect there to be much talking, don't you?"

            "I am not sure if I can face Percival after this evening," I looked down at my hands and saw that they were trembling a bit.

            "You can and you will, he deserves no less."

            "Yet Patience will bear no burden of what she has done because she is lying in . . . "

            "I cannot make excuses for her, dear sister, but she will have much to answer for, especially in respect to her own brother and sister."

            "I suppose you are right . . . I just feel like I have caused a great deal of unhappiness for many people whom I care about," I sighed.

            "That is part of life, young one," he clapped my hand, "But what matters is how you try to sort it out." I leaned over and rested my head on his shoulder and just took a deep breath. "Yes, I will stand by you . . . you never have to worry about that. Now, get to bed and sleep."

            "Good night, Freddie," I smiled as he left my side.

            "Did you have a lovely evening, Miss?" Clara asked closing the door.

            "For the most part, it was heavenly," I replied as I went to my nightstand and brought out the small box that Thomas had left.

            "What's that, Miss?" Clara asked as she set to work undoing the back of my dress, "A gift from your brother?"

            "No," I said as I opened it carefully, "It is from Mr. Edgehill."

            "Oh?" I could hear the smile in her voice, "What's in it?"

            "Oh Thomas," I breathed removing the pendant and holding it up towards the firelight.

            "What is that, Miss? A flower?"

            "A violet," I smiled showing her closely, "It's a pressed violet."

            "Such a common flower? He should have found a rose at least!" she went on helping me out of my gown.

            "Oh no, this is much lovelier than any rose, Clara, much lovelier."

            "If you say so, Miss," Clara replied as she began to take the hairpins out, "but a fine gentleman like Mr. Edgehill, he could do much better in showing a lady he cares about her . . . "

            "He does just fine," I said mostly to myself as I held the token against my skin and looked in the mirror again, "What can I wear that will not take away from this?"

            "Might I suggest your white day dress with a purple sash?" Leah said poking her head from the wardrobe and scaring Clara half to death, "Oh, I'm sorry," she whispered.

            "How did you . . . " Clara gasped as she regained her bearings.

            "Leah and I have a game," I explained, "sometimes she hides in my wardrobe and then we sit and chat before bed." I looked intently at Leah and nodded until she caught on.

            "That's right," she smiled, "I thought tonight would be perfect since we didn't talk much during the ball."

            "Precisely," I agreed.

            "Oh, well you should have told me . . . "

            "You won't tell Mother, will you, Clara?" Leah pleaded. "She would forbid it and . . . "

            "Don't fear, child," Clara patted Leah's cheek, "you have my word." We both let out sighs of relief.

            Leah took a spot on my bed and reached for the box from Thomas, "Is that all?" she asked.

            "Hmm, see even the young Miss knows he should have done better," Clara said as she finished taking down my hair.

            "No, that's not it," Leah said, " . . . um . . . never mind."

            Both Clara and I turned to her interested, "You know something, don't you?" I asked.

            "I know nothing," she said moving off the bed and backing away.

            "Leah," I cooed, "what do you know?"

            "I know nothing!" she giggled and ran out of my room, "Nothing!" I heard as she returned to her bedchamber.

            "I don't believe a word," Clara shook her head.

            "And she left before I could ask about a purple sash," I commented setting the token on my dressing table. I finished dressing for bed and bid Clara a good night.