20: Journey

Lenix~~~

Frustrated...

It was fine when I was busy getting the journey started. There had been so much to do, details to sort out, things to keep me distracted. Now that we are moving along steadily to our destination I'm getting antsy. Imogen is here and there chatting happily to various villagers, running around with Unai. I want him here with me. What is he doing everywhere else?

I can't think of a reason to call him over and keep him here though...so frustrating.

Unai~~~

Unai shook his fur out in the morning sun. It felt great to roam back and forth across the road and into the surrounding wood. He was happy to run around releasing his aura to drive away any of the moderately dangerous beasts that roamed the dense dark forest on either side of the wide highway. 

Imogen had been all wound up with Lenix most of the time lately, but today he was even playing games with me. I'm totally gloating and teasing Lenix about it. It's so funny to see him looking at Imogen with his pleading eyes wanting attention and Imogen has no idea.

This is fun. Last life Imogen never played with me. He definitely never flirted with anyone like he does with Lenix. I'm glad I was able to bring Imogen back and Lenix turned out to be the best person to bring here. I would never have thought that icy man would be someone I could tease.

Villagers~~~

Due to the potential danger, this road wasn't used frequently. So the group didn't pass any other travelers.   

There wasn't anything really dangerous to Lenix and Unai but the villagers had lost a few people to the beasts when they traveled to the city originally. That was the main reason they had sent so many villagers, to ensure enough made it through to seek help. 

They had been luckier than expected by only losing five people to the mysterious forest. The first evening two were missing when they made camp. A heavy fog rolled in that night and in the morning three more were just gone without a trace. 

They had thought their luck had been used up on the trip when they had been betrayed and sold to slavers. It would have been a good haul for the slavers since all of the villagers sent out were strong, able-bodied young men. Things really turned around for them when Lenix entered that warehouse. 

He had given off power with enough pressure to have most of them on the verge of passing out. The way he took control of the situation and gave them directions calmly despite a melted arm had left an indelible impression on them. He was a high and mighty unreachable figure in their hearts and minds. And yet...there was one that easily stood next to him.

The surrounding villagers couldn't contain their curious glances at the powerful dangerous man they had personally witnessed covered in blood that wasn't his own, patiently and attentively teaching that pretty young man.

They were all very respectful to Lenix who had rescued them and remembered his words that he only did so at the request of someone important to him. Everyone was sure that Imogen was their true benefactor, both for rescuing them from slavery and the promised help to their village. They all had a good impression of the delicate, easy-going man at Lenix's side.

Imogen~~~

Imogen was having a great time peeking into the forest, chasing Unai around, asking the villagers about the surrounding towns. 

Until Lenix insisted he had to practice his wind magic...right now.... and walk with him. 

This was good too since being near Lenix was the best but the magic was kind of confusing and he'd been cooped up in the courtyard ever since traveling back in time. Now he was stronger and healthier than he had ever been and running around was so much fun. Focusing on feeling the magic essence of the wind as Lenix said was tough when his mind kept wandering.

At least the magic was stable now that his body wasn't undergoing changes from the growth medicine. Lenix taught him to surround himself with a gentle breeze half the first day to gain a good feel for the magic energies all around them. 

By the time the sun was high overhead, Lenix had him levitating a few cms off the ground constantly to train his control. Lenix held on to his hand the whole time saying if Imogen lost control he could go flying away so Lenix needed to keep ahold of him. 

That just made it harder to concentrate on the wind when he kept thinking about Lenix's strong, cool hand firmly holding his own smaller hand. He noticed every little movement and callous. Was that a scar on the third finger? He felt like he got to know Lenix's hand more than the magic.

It wasn't until evening as the sun slowly set that Imogen had a good enough understanding of the feeling of the magic to realize flying off wouldn't be possible at all. Was Lenix teasing him? Or did he just want to hold hands but was to shy to do it without an excuse?

heuheu he got a good idea of how to tease him back. Mischief twinkled in his eyes as he erratically increased the flow of the magic causing him to become imbalanced and shoot to the left and up. Lenix immediately tackled him with fearful wide eyes and shut Imogen's magic down.

[Don't play around, that's dangerous!] Imogen could feel Lenix's raw, undisguised concern through the thought.

"Good thing you're nearby to catch me if the magic goes out of control huh?"

Imogen's impish smile clued Lenix in that Imogen caught his white lie. He took advantage of their position to trap Imogen. [That scared me. I won't let you off easily.]

What followed was a deep, lingering kiss sweet like honey. Lenix greedily occupied Imogen's lips in a siege, easily forcing Imogen to submit to his kiss. 

Though it was evening and the shadows were lengthening the two were still plainly visible to their travel companions. Most were doing their best to avoid looking but some openly stared. They just couldn't connect this flirting scene to that cold ruthless man.

Unai stepped his large form over and settled near them, intentionally increasing the volume of his fur, fully blocking the view of the two from everyone else. 

Lenix didn't care if the villagers saw him kissing Imogen, he was happy to let anyone and everyone know his claim. Imogen would have been a little embarrassed if he noticed but he was completely absorbed in Lenix holding him.

~~~

For the night, Lenix had Fran create a wall around the site and even divided several separate rooms for sleeping. He even instructed her on how to create raised platforms for beds. They didn't really need it all but it was good practice for Fran. 

Lenix passed out some ingredients from his ring for the villagers and Fran to cook. He pulled Imogen away to teach him a wind array he could use as a perimeter guard. 

The humm of Imogen's magically created wind could be heard in the otherwise quiet night. Lenix taught him how to sense what the wind was touching. He felt the breeze swoop around the campsite, catching the fragrance of the dinner Fran and a few of the villagers worked on. 

He playfully caused the fire to flare up then knocked over someone's bag. He flowed through Unai's long fur then extended the flow out into the woods surrounding them. Imogen's breathing began to feel labored and a fine sheen of sweat was forming on his brow.

"That's enough practice for tonight, Imogen." Lenix rested a hand on Imogen's shoulder, drawing his attention back into himself.

"Such a neat trick, I can think of lots of fun pranks I can do with that." 

This naughty child, isn't he a full grown man older than me? "Imogen, were you always so playful and mischievous?"

"Couldn't. Everything was a life and death struggle for me then. I was always working to give myself a decent life. It wasn't until toward the end of my last life I started to feel I could relax a bit. But then..."

Imogen looked a bit sad as he talked about his former life. Lenix felt an ache in his heart, he wanted to comfort Imogen but wasn't sure how.

"But now I have you! I feel safe and relaxed all the time. Its amazing how much fun life is." He pulled Lenix over and hugged him tightly.