13. Save The 50s Dance

"It's so pretty," Caroline said, examining the necklace that Riley had just given her. It was filled with vervain, given to Riley by her mother. "Thank you."

"That's OK!" Riley grinned, sitting down at the lunch table opposite her. "It's just a little friend gift."

"Lesbian friend necklace?" Caroline asked, smirking. "Cause we're freaky like that?" she winked and Riley laughed.

"It's whatever kind of necklace you want it to be."

Caroline looked at the necklace again, before putting it on. "And what's the occasion?" she asked with a smile. It felt nice to be thought of.

"OK, it's a totally genuine present, but it's also something nice to talk about before I broach an uncomfortable topic," Riley admitted. "Why are you avoiding Elena?"

"I'm not," Caroline lied.

"Come on," Riley sighed. It had been ages since she'd seen the girls hanging out. "It's obvious. And knowing you the way I do, it's about a guy, right?"

Caroline frowned. She didn't realize that she was so easy to figure out. "Well, you know how Elena and Matt used to date?"

"Um, actually I didn't," Riley said, not that shocked. This seemed like the kind of place where everyone dated everyone. "But OK."

"Matt and I have hung out a couple of times, and it just feels like we've peaked as friends. And I don't want Elena to think that I'm... stepping on her territory or something."

Riley chuckled. "Matt isn't Elena's 'territory' Caroline, an ex is an ex for a reason. Plus, I'm pretty sure her and Stefan are back on. Just talk to her about it, I'm sure it'll be fine."

"OK, I will," Caroline promised. "Now onto one of my favorite topics: there's a decade dance tonight!"

Riley rolled her eyes to the heavens and back. "We spend more time at dances and parties than we spend actually doing school work," she reminded her friend. "What decade?"

"50s. So what are you wearing?" Caroline asked. She'd picked out her outfit a week ago.

"A poodle skirt," Riley joked. "Obviously."

"Great!" Caroline pounced. "I have the perfect accessories!"

"Hang on, I actually have to wear a poodle skirt?" Riley groaned.

Caroline stood up. "Of course."

Riley smiled at her friend's enthusiasm, already admitting defeat. "You, Caroline Forbes, are one in a million."

"I know," she smirked.

***

A few hours, a lot of make-up and a red poodle skirt later, Riley walked into the dance. Everyone was dressed to the nines, the room looked like they'd literally gone back in time.

Bonnie and Caroline were standing together, neither looking like they were enjoying themselves.

"Having fun?" Riley asked, walking up to them. She wore a plain black top and black heels with the skirt. Red nails and lipstick borrowed from Caroline completed her look. She allowed her curled brown hair to flow around her shoulders.

Caroline grimaced. "No, but this took about two hours, so I'm staying for at least half of that."

Riley laughed, before trailing off when she saw the look on Bonnie's face.

"What's Damon doing here?"

They all turned to watch as Stefan and Elena walked into the party arm-in-arm, Damon standing beside them.