Deviant Hunter

November 5th, 2038
PM 11:40:21

Chris was right, not that you'd ever tell him that. There was something weird in the bathroom. Really fucking weird. Frantic writing, "rA9," repeated thousands of times in black, scribbled ink. A figurine made of...Well, honestly, you didn't want to know.

What was most interesting about the creepy shrine was the flowers sprinkled along the drain. Bowls of exhausted incense gave the shower stall the best-smelling place in the house. It was as if someone had made a religious offering to...What, the God of going batshit crazy?

You'd just taken the last of 30 pictures of the whatever-the-fuck before you felt someone staring at you. The kind of tension that raised the hairs on the back of your neck and made your muscles tense. Your knee rotated, and your boots squeaked as you turned.

Connor was standing at the doorway.

"OH, SHIT-"

You jumped, almost falling backwards and destroying the evidence.

His hand shot forward, latching on to your arm. Your healing arm. The one he'd wrapped with a tie in what seemed like a lifetime ago.

"Tsss- Ow-"

You cringed, the camera bouncing across the floor.

His grip switched to your back, supporting you mid-fall.

"I'm sorry. Did I frighten you?"

His face was only inches away, his brown eyes digging deep into yours.

"No," Your voice wavered, "No, I...You-"

"Your heartrate is accelerating tremendously. Have you been checked for paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia?"

He straightened himself, helping you to your feet with a gentle touch.

"Paroxys-what?" You pulled your mask down, giving him a confused look, "I'm fine, I just..."

It was just the two of you, alone in the bathroom at the end of the hall. You leaned on your leg, balancing yourself in front of him. It was time to face your fears.

"Do you remember me?"

You asked the question of the hour. The one you'd been trying to avoid, but felt like you'd never have an appropriate chance to ask again. Hell, this was anything but appropriate...The kind of dreams you were having about him after the nightmares, were anything but appropriate.

"I was on that terrace..." You were lost in his trance, silently begging him to halt any judgement, "That android that took the little girl hostage? I was shot, and you...you saved me."

His bottom eyelids pushed up, and his head swayed to the left.

"I remember you."

His revelation had you melted in place, feet glued to the floor that kept you anchored in this world. He said it with a sense of amazement as the light on his head shifted from blue to yellow. You weren't sure what that meant yet, but it was the second time you'd seen it.

"I could've died...you could've died..."

A small twitch jumbled his features, but you kept going before he could correct you.

"But you saved me. And I just wanted to say...thank you."

His cheeks lifted, and he gave you the warmest smile. One that lifted both corners of his mouth. It wasn't much of a response, but it was enough. A two-cornered smile was a good start on your path of self-redemption.