↳ THIRTY-EIGHT

THE SITUATION WAS growing increasingly threatening, with Lucifer still without a heartbeat and Linda attempting to resuscitate him with panic flowing steadily through her own veins

THE SITUATION WAS growing increasingly threatening, with Lucifer still without a heartbeat and Linda attempting to resuscitate him with panic flowing steadily through her own veins. Izzy had messaged Benji, well-aware that if this was to be Lucifer Morningstar's end for good, he would have wanted to be there, even with all the pain — he loved him, and she respected that. Charlotte had shown up too, and while Isadora wasn't all too fond of her, she was somewhat relieved at her arrival — in a moment like this, everything useful had to be taken advantage of, and that was why she hardly protested when Mazikeen grabbed the defibrillator and sent Charlotte after her son before she had even had the time to unbutton her shirt. The fleeting courage had passed, however, and the demon was back in Izzy's arms, neither of them stable enough to worry about the unspoken tension between them.

Izzy had never felt this kind of coldness in the pit of her stomach, such weight that nearly dragged her down too. Being in danger was very different from watching a loved one be in danger, and even though she knew Diane had faced many life-threatening situations, she had never seen those — now, though, she could see the life drain from Lucifer, his eyes unresponsive as they stared into nothingness. Somehow, each second felt far too quick for her liking, yet at the same time, they lingered around, like a slow-motion she couldn't snap out of despite the relentless alarms ringing in her aching head. And still, the silence was deafening, the only sounds being the powering-up machine that Linda clung onto and the heavy breaths that mixed with their heartbroken sniffles. And even with all the people in the room, including Charlotte, whose stiff corpse was splayed across the floor, it felt empty.

The only beacon of safety was Maze by her side, but this time, Izzy was the one doing the protecting and defending, her arm draped across the bounty hunter's shoulders while she held her close.

Just when Isadora thought it couldn't possibly get worse, the door into the room opened once more and even before turning around, she knew Benji had finally made it. But when she did glance in his direction, the dread that filled him was evident on his horrified features, and as he froze by the doorway and watched the man he loved, on his deathbed, whatever was left of Izzy's heart got torn apart. Yet, no one dared to speak up, she only offered an apologetic shake of her head when Benjamin turned to her, as if he was waiting for her to have a solution, like she always did — he could always rely on Izzy, but this time, she was just as hopeless as the rest of them.

Stepping over Charlotte, Benji scrambled over to Lucifer and took his hands in his own, quiet weeps and begs to keep on fighting replacing the silence within the four walls as he held onto him. Without even realizing, Izzy's arm tightened around Maze, who certainly paid attention to the affectionate squeeze — but instead of smirking up at her, or saying something usual for her like she would have in any other situation, Mazikeen simply reached out to touch the hand resting on her shoulder and softly grasped Izzy's fingers.