Chapter 1: Returning to Hogwarts

It was September the 1st 1943, and a new school year had just begun at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The students were filing off of the Hogwarts Express, a buzz of excitement evident in the crisp air, as the faces of thousands of eager looking students looked around in awe.

A voice called out from the darkness, beckoning the first years towards it, where they were then led through an opening in the dense-looking forest towards the Black Lake to take some boats over to the school. The older students had another way of getting to the school, though; the boat ride being a privilege reserved only for the first years. And it was a privilege they would remember for the rest of their lives. Because if there was one thing everyone remembered from their years at Hogwarts; and you could ask any wizard - old or young - it would be the first time they saw that castle growing out of the darkness.

The night sky was clear, and the stars were shining down brightly upon the students tonight - beautiful - like a pile of glistening moon dust that had spilt its way across the sky.

Once the first years had made their way towards the boats, the sound of wheels could be heard gradually making their way towards the rest of the students through the trees. This is how the older students got to the castle: By mysterious carriages led by their own.

A girl with long, dark brown hair sat alone in one of the mysterious carriages as she felt it start to gently pull itself forward. She looked up out of the small window and saw the outline of an enormous building looming in the distance. Her name was Estela, and she was entering her sixth year at Hogwarts School.

She pulled out a book and began to read as the carriage moved along steadily through a path in the trees. And after a few minutes, it seemed to be slowing down, before it came to an abrupt stop outside a very large stone castle. She looked up at the familiar building, its walls lit with burning torches that cast shadows on the floor as they danced in a glowing blaze of orange. She smiled - a fleeting feeling of joy surging through her stomach. She was home.

Surrounded by a sea of other students, she entered the castle and they all made their way to the Great Hall, the crowd a cluster of excited whispers. The Hall was a large and long room with stone walls covered in portraits of men and women who were chatting amongst themselves. Floating candles were scattered around the Hall, and they met in one enormous group above their heads as their flames illuminated the room. The ceiling towered high above them, though there appeared to be no roof at all as it looked exactly like the inky black sky the girl had previously seen. Estela knew this to be a special charm which would make the ceiling identical to the sky outside.

There were four long tables stretching down the Great Hall covered in golden plates and goblets that were currently empty. At the far end of the Hall there was another long table where the teachers sat, and their gazes were set on the incoming students, their expressions warm and welcoming. In the middle of the table was a striking throne-like chair, and seated in this regal chair was a pale skinned man with a thick beard. He was the Headmaster of Hogwarts School, and his name was Armando Dippet.

The students all walked in different directions as they entered the hall and went to sit at a specific table. The tables all had different coloured table cloths, signifying which House was to sit at each table. The furthest to the left was a table with a dark green cloth with silver outlining: Slytherin, next was a dark blue cloth: Ravenclaw,  a red cloth with gold lining for Gryffindor, and last but not least yellow with dark grey lining for Hufflepuff.

Estela went over to the long table with the dark blue cloth, the Ravenclaw table, and sat with the other students as they waited patiently for the first years to arrive and the Sorting Ceremony to begin.