Chapter Nine: The Liberation

The trip to Refojuner was long and strenuous

The trip to Refojuner was long and strenuous. Kaldur had given Camille directions to the prison and she programmed the ship to set a coarse to those co-ordinates, but there were times in which a large rock would block their path. She had to use the lights on either side of the ship and avoid crashing into these obstacles.

This ship was the most complicated she had ever seen, but it still possessed similarities to vehicles she knew how to operate. That made the entire process much easier. She hadn't left her seat for a handful of hours by the time she heard the door to the room slide open. The heavy footsteps gave the identity of this person away without even needing to see their face.

"Come to sulk some more?" Camille snapped a little harshly. Arthur had done nothing but insist that she leave since she returned. It was starting to become extremely irritating.

Arthur slumped into a nearby seat, and though Camille still hadn't turned to look at him, she could tell that he had the usual frown on his face. It felt as if that expression was permanently painted onto his face at this stage. Absolutely nothing could elevate it from his exterior.

"Why do you keep coming back?" Arthur asked in a low, annoyed tone. He was staring out of the viewer screen, watching a large manner of creatures pass by.

"Because I want to help." Camille replied simply, as if she needed no other reason to assist them; nothing to gain, nothing to learn, just the innocent desire to be there. "Why do you keep trying to make me leave?"

"You don't belong here." Arthur answered without needing a single second to think about it. "You'll get yourself killed."

The woman smirked. "Oh, so you're worried about me?"

Arthur's frown morphed into a scowl. "Don't put words into my mouth."

"I'm not." Camille finally granted the man a brief look. Her eyes were so dark, but had such a brightness to them whenever light shimmered against them. They stared right into Arthur's soul without hesitation. "You were a part of the Justice League once... You were Aquaman. That man cared about everyone; land dweller, alien and Atlantean alike. I don't know what happened to make you so ashamed of that, but I know you're still the same person. You just try a lot harder to hide it."

Silence suddenly filled the room. Arthur averted his gaze from hers, not willing to confirm nor deny her assumption. He knew that she was right, of course, but he didn't want to confirm that to her. He had been through a lot over the past few months and thought it was best to simply remove himself from the world. Atlantis no longer needed him, and neither did the land.

Camille's back straightened and forced her to the edge of her seat just as they came across a shipwreck slumbering in the vast, empty abyss. She took a few moments to analyse the discovery, muttering a quiet 'wow', before settling back into her chair. She had seen many things since taking control of the ship, enough to not be surprised by the sight of this ancient vessel. It was still incredible regardless.