19 - The Caged Beast

KAZAXON

     Molten skies cast deep, crimson hues over desolate lands. Low sunrises give large, ripping lakes gold reflections surrounded by autumn trees and tall, imposing brick structures. Towers stand guard on hilltops with great pyres adorning them like crowns. None frighten me. I am running as fast as I can past all of them, feeling the wind through my hair and the resistance along my horns. I see castle ruins up ahead of me as I jump through dense forests and easily dodge vine wrapped trees. The bricks are black with moss, threatening a barely stable footing but I am unfazed. My claws grip the rocks with ease, and any brick too weak for me is reduced to powder. I slip maybe once, and in an move of indignation I smash part of the ruins behind me with a powerful swing of my tail.

     There is a woman on my back. She screams and hides her face from the debris, burying her nose against my shoulder. Her fear lasts a mere moment before she is laughing and tightening her hold around my neck.

     "You are too bold!" My Edeva cries out. "One day you will fall and land on your back, crushing me!"

     "I am as graceful as a feline," I assure her. "and will land on my feet if I dare slip. Come, woman, you wanted to ride me and you have. Now I shall take you in to these ruins and ride you in return."

     "Brute!" She acts scandalized, but as I slowly revert from my beast form, I can feel her shift her hips and grind herself against my back. Naughty little human.

     I find a particularly grassy area to land in, crouching so that Edeva may slide off of me. She takes one of my hands and tugs me towards a corner, before spinning around and pulling two tresses of hair on the sides of my head. I lean down obediently so she may reward my efforts with a kiss.

     "You like the spot I have chosen?" I ask. She nods, turning from me to look at the view. This castle once sat on the edge of a great river with a waterfall nearby, and when the sun hits the spray from the falls at just the right angle, a vivid rainbow appears. It does not last very long, but long enough to hold my mate's attention as I sit down and pull her in to my lap. I am content to let her enjoy this one bright moment in such a dark place. The underworld, especially Hell, does not often let secrets like these be known to anyone but the most diligent seekers.

     Normally I would have no interest in finding such things, but I want Edeva happy. I will find these moments wherever they may be hiding. She leans back against me as I wind my arms possessively around her, and sighs as I begin to kiss her neck.

     "Do you love me, Kazaxon?" She asks softly, turning her head from the rainbow I found for her. Her desire for me outweighs it, but I am not offended. If I am the sight she prefers, so be it.

     "Yes." My reply is immediate, without thought. A demon can be as unsure about things as any human or angel, but of this I am absolutely certain.

     "I love you, too."

     Her smile is dazzling, more beautiful than anything else I have ever seen, nor ever will see. It fills me with intense joy. The wrath in me is all but gone when I gaze upon my mate.

     "Kazaxon?"

     "What is it, my pet?" She suddenly looks concerned, and I brush the tip of my claw down her cheek.

     "Demon? Are you awake?"

     "Yes." I raise a brow in confusion.

     "Kazaxon the Red!" At the basest distance of my hearing, someone hisses lowly. Edeva is no longer with me. Everywhere is black. Total darkness. Less than such: emptiness. "Wake up, demon."