Chapter 29: The Tunnel System

The rain cleared within an hour or two, letting the few restless soldiers sleep. I even got a few precious minutes of rest in before Orgnar barked his orders and we were off again. The rain had left what seemed like miles of puddles and little pockets of water across the valley. The water created a mirage as if another sky was displayed on the ground. As our horses would approach it, the images would ripple and show our dirty and worn expressions.

That was the only thing we would see for hours sitting atop our beasts. Eventually, our legs became numb and our alertness to the outside world dulled. We were restless, having traveled so far with no new change of scenery beside a few bushes here and there.

"We are nearly to the tunnel entrance, it's most likely guarded, stay alert and ready," Orgnar said lowly, his voice carrying easily in the open tundra. We clomped on, our eyes scanning the area for any potential threats. Slowly, a large mountain range started to come in view, the peaks covered by thick fog and snow. The once flat, cracked tundra we were on morphed into an icy snow-covered terrain, jagged rocks sticking out at random.

We trudged on nonetheless, the mountain looming over us as if it was watching us, waiting for us to make a deadly mistake. I shivered, from the cold and from the uneasy feeling the mountain range gave me. Orgnar thrust his fist out, signaling for us to halt. We did so, awaiting his next orders. Orgnar slid off of his horse, as did we, taking the moment to stretch our numb or restless legs.

"The entrance is not far by foot, but we need to make haste," Orgnar commanded.

"What of the horses? They will surely be spotted," Heskell pointed out. For once, we all nodded in agreement, for once, questioning Orgnar's orders.

"They are being sent back to Asgard. We must move fast for the Bifrost light may be seen and cause an uproar in the capital," Orgnar explained. My heart dropped to the snowy floor below me. I would have to leave Bjorn, with a possibility of not returning. My heart longed for me to turn around and bid him farewell, maybe even sneak an apple to him. But I knew that I would not have the chance as Orgnar bellowed Heimdall's name. The blinding chromatic light of the Bifrost quickly followed, sending a plume of air around us.

"Move!" Orgnar ordered. Where Bjorn and the rest of the horses once were, was now an intricate brand in the melted snow. I turned on my heel, joining the others as they bounded into the snow, following Orgnar blindly to wherever this secret tunnel may lay. My feet were cold once again, my toes already threatening to become numb. Our feet crunched and sounded in the thick snow, making for a loud, 'secret' entrance.

Against the bright snowy walls of the mountain were two dimly lit torches, their light barely noticeable as it flickered in and out in the wind. Even harder to see were the light blue bodies that guarded the outside. They were covered in ivory colored furs, each holding a heavy spear in their hands. Even in the slowly setting sun, we were hard to see to them, and hoped we could keep it that way.

Orgnar drew a line across his neck before gesturing to Heskell and Asmund- our very own distance sorcerers. Heskell and Asmund crouched and moved forward together, casting fiery orbs in unison. Their hands twitched with energy and anticipation, once again awaiting Orgnar's next orders. Orgnar jutted his hand forward sharply. The duo drew their hands back before launching them forward, sending their orbs sailing forward into the pair of obscure Jotuns.

Their magic orbs burst into flames upon contact, wailing and angry shouts followed. Their bodies flailed about in an attempt to put out the fire that burned their flesh. They rolled in the snow, they tried batting it out all in vain attempt to the fire on their bodies out. We stood and watched from a distance as the Jotuns withered and died a slow, painful death. My stomach did a somersault and already I was sickened by the stench I knew far too well.