|20| crown of the new girl

psst, hey
I see you
think you're slick, huh? what, no vote? 🙃

She shakes my wrists and stares at me with her big round eyes. "There's going to be a new girl starting today!!"

I gape at Teddy massively. "Really?!"

"Yeah! I can't wait to meet the new girl. Ooo go get changed before she arrives!" After Teddy pushes me towards the kitchen, I cross through and enter the changing room. Taehyung hired a new girl without saying anything? What the actual fuck.

I come out in my uniform, but instead of heading back into the diner I go upstairs to Tae's room... I mean Taehyung's... that was weird. I need to be careful not to do that out loud.

I run up the stairs and burst into the bedroom. "Taehyung we need to t—"
I forget how to form the last letters of my sentence when Taehyung looks over his shoulder at me, his phone in hand and back completely shirtless.

"W-w-what are you doing just standing there shirtless you creep?!" I toss a random pillow at him in hopes that it will cover his body for at least a second and to distract him from my flustered face.

I didn't catch a long look before looking away, but his body looked so perfect. Not your typical gym junky, in fact, he had a little pudge in his belly, but his shoulders looked so wide and his skin seems so supple. What am I saying? This is you're boss Lilo stop being weird.

"You must be forgetting that this is my room." He tosses his phone on the bed before rolling a white t-shirt down his chest.

"W-whatever, I need to talk to you." He runs a hand through his dark locks and sits on the couch, crossing one leg over the other and resting an arm over the edge. He raises his eyebrows and throws his hand, gesturing me to speak. "Teddy just told me there's a new girl coming today."

"Yeah, so?"

"Why are you hiring another girl when four waitresses are enough?"

He looks at me in confusion, furrowing his eyebrows. "Why do you care if I'm hiring another girl?"

"Gosh I didn't say I cared! I just think four girls is enough!" I get defensive rather unnecessarily.

I don't really know why I sound so bitter about this. I'm sure the other girls weren't at all disappointed when they heard I would be joining, but I can't help the way I feel after hearing this news, whether I know why or not. I just know I don't want there to be a new girl.

"After Teddy and Winter were gone the other day I realised we need another waitress, it's not a big deal."

"Is this what you were going to tell me this morning?" I ask, he nods in response, making me scowl and look away. "Well you should have told me earlier."

"Stop being a brat." He rolls his eyes with his tongue smacking his teeth quietly. "When I hired you, I didn't parade it to the other girls either. I don't know if you expected some kind of special treatment—"

"Tae I'm not a brat it's you who—!" I immediately holt my sentence. Taehyung's sharply widened eyes unsettle me even more.

"Did you just say—?"

"Nope, bye." I turn around and head straight for the door. I only manage to open it a few inches before his hand slams it shut from above my head. I feel his body towering over my back.

I rely my perspective on watching our shadow prints on the wall rather than turning to face him.

"So now I'm Tae, huh?" He smirks.

I stay silent and gulp thickly, mentally cursing myself for saying that. It's not my fault, the guys call him Tae around me all the time, I guess the name just rubbed off on me.

My eyes widen at our shadows as I watch him close in on my back, bringing his lips near my ear and letting his warm breath caress it while he whispers,

"I know why you're mad. You feel replaced, don't you?"

...Yes.

I don't see myself as a big attention seeker or the jealous type, but I've just gotten so used to being the new girl so hearing someone else take my place makes me feel a little out of place.

Teddy is the energetic one, Gretchen is the humble one and Winter is the wise one. Without the title of the new girl, I don't know where that leaves me.

Without responding, I try pulling the door handle with both hands but he holds it shut effortlessly.

"Don't feel replaced, Li. Just because there's someone new doesn't mean you're forgotten."

My body freezes up at the sound of him teasing me and calling me... "Li."

"L-like I care about which one of us the gets most attention! And don't call me Li!!"

"Nah... I actually like Li better. I think I'll call you that more often." He winks, finally letting go of the door.

He's such a jerk, always purposely flustering me. Standing in the door frame I look over my shoulder and face front ways again.

"You're so annoying, Tae."

When I re-enter the diner everyone is in the same position as when I first arrived, standing in front of the counter and ready to pounce with a big "welcome!"

Their excitement is pretty adorable, and now that I think about it everyone here was so nice to me when I joined. I don't know how I would have coped if I found out someone didn't want me here, so it would be unfair to act like that towards the new girl. I'm going to try and be welcoming. Who knows, we may get along well.

The chime on the bell rings and everyone cheers loudly.

"WELCOME TO CRÉME CAFE!"

I watch as the girl enters the room.

Oh...

God no...

Why her...