Chapter Twenty One: Not Sorry

My eyes slowly opened when I felt something lick my hand. I made out the figure after my second giggle and jolted at the sight of Stone. He was seated, staring at me, and waging his tail. I was surprised he hadn't mauled me in my sleep like the ferocious beast he seemed to be.

I looked to the opposite side of the bed and noticed it was empty. Donovan, and everyone else for that matter, had probably gotten ready for the eventful day while I was recovering from the most confusing night of my life. Actually, second place to the night Greene was murdered.

I went back to my room so that I could take a shower and change my clothes. Hannah and I were being forced back to the city so the least I could do was look presentable to take the long trip back.

When I finally made my way downstairs there was a breakfast buffet spread out on the dining table. It was an elaborate display of muffins, pancakes, turkey bacon, sausage, and fruit. Honestly, I'd been fed well under Donovan which wasn't always the case in my non captive life. Roth only liked skinny girls at Lush. It wasn't up for debate or negotiation.

When I reached for a muffin, a woman stepped out of the kitchen with a pitcher of orange juice in hand and smiled when she saw me look up, mid grab.

"Good morning Rosemary!" Her voice was high pitched and sounded oddly enthusiastic considering the fact that she was only greeting me and not the Queen of England.

"Do I know you?"

"You don't." She set down the pitcher then flicked some blonde hair over her shoulder before shaking my hand. "I'm taking Grace's place here until everything calms down." Taking Grace's place? So Donovan called in some new girl to keep him sexual company since Grace was MIA and I was being sent off.

I hated myself for even allowing him to have emotional control over me. For a few hours yesterday my heart had been growing tender for him and now here I was as his disposable captive.

I looked out the window that faced the lake and noticed Donovan, Lance, and two unfamiliar men in suits discussing something. The slight breeze blew his otherwise perfect hair just enough for him to run his fingers through it. Yesterday, I would easily have considered the gesture to be sexy, but this morning it just made me scoff and look away.

"Isn't he handsome?" The woman I had just met gushed, looking out the window as well.

"How do you know him?" I asked, avoiding her question.

"I was a pastry chef at The Coral Club." She leaned on the table. "He liked the cheesecake and asked to meet me. Next thing you know, he took me back to-"

"Okay," I looked at her with my brows furrowed. "I get it." It was confirmed now that they'd been involved and thus I wanted nothing to do with Donovan.

"Good, you met Pharrah." Hannah entered the dining room with an iPad in hand. It was comforting to see her.

Pharrah gave us a tight smile and then disappeared into the kitchen. Hannah rolled her eyes and walked closer to me.

"Was she bothering you?"

"No, not at all. She's very-bubbly." Was the best way I could describe her since I didn't come in contact with naturally perky women often.

"She thinks she's going to marry Donovan. I guess the fact that he brings her out in public is deceiving." My face might have given up the fact that I hated knowing this information. This girl would be alone with him in the house and they already had an intimate relationship.

"Maybe he shouldn't lead people on." I suggested. Hannah shrugged, none the wiser.

"Smells amazing in here!" Lance exclaimed, as all three men walked inside through the back door. He reached for a strip of bacon. "Pharrah, you know how to make magic."