17 ; the embarassments of the wrong bed

SECURE — CHAPTER 17

[ His damp hair fell in stands around his face, and Katie couldn't help but think that it was a really good look for him. Like an insanely good look. ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

The sun had barely risen, just peeking over the large grove of trees located in the Forbidden Forest and casting miniscule shadows over the grounds of Hogwarts when Katie began to stir awake.

She could feel that it was decently early the moment her brain registered that it was time to wake; she always had to wake up early on the mornings when quidditch games were scheduled.

Still drowsy and having not opened her eyes quite yet, she sat up slowly from her bed, stretching and yawning as she did so. There was an odd smell of chocolate and wood shavings entering her senses - her bed always smelled of roses and honeysuckles from her shampoo and body wash - but she was much too drowsy to dwell on it. Rubbing her eyes slowly, she began to squint at the dark room, waiting for her eyes to adjust to the difference in light.

The room looked rather messy, much messier than usual. She turned her head to her left, expecting to see red hair peeking out from the large comforters, messy and spread in all directions. To her utter shock and surprise, she instead found James Potter, already bound in his quidditch uniform, leaning against his bedpost, watching her with an amused expression.

She shook her head to wake her senses, eyes wide with confusion. "Merlin, James. You scared me," Katie said, her voice still ridden with hints of fatigue.

"What are you doing here? It's much too early for me to be late for quidditch," she blinked, her brows furrowing, "on second thought, how'd you manage to get up here? The stairwell to the girls' dormitory's charmed so that no male can climb up without a female standing with them."

She squinted at him, just barely able to make out his features in the darkness of the room. She could just make out the small smirk forming on his face as he answered her.

"Why yes Kate, it would be rather difficult for me to get to the girls' dormitories. But you see, we're not in the girls' dormitories," he clarified, his voice light.

As she swiveled her head around the room, Katie began to notice the drastic differences from the dormitories that she usually knew. Sirius was laid on his bed sideways on his bed, blankets kicked to the floor and his arms in awkward positions. There was a lump on the bed nearest to the door; Katie guessed that it was Peter on that bed.

The familiar stench of the sixth year boys dormitory - an odd mix of dank sweat and Sirius' cologne - became startlingly obvious to her nose. Her nose wrinkled absentmindedly. After spending so much time in this room it had almost become second nature for her to just block out the smell so she wouldn't faint.