Part 55

"Madhava,  you have grown at least a head taller from the time I last saw you!" Vinayak, Madhav's uncle and Sharayu's husband remarked to see the strong young man standing tall before him. Madhav and Vidya touched the feet of their uncle and aunt as a mark of respect and were followed by Manohar and Gajanan.

A smiling Madhu mirrored their act, greeting Madhav, Vidya and and her husband Manohar in the traditional fashion and in return receiving blessings uttered in chaste Sanskrit. As he stepped aside a nervous Surangi came forward wrapped modestly with the ornate end of her saree and bowed before Manohar and Vidya.

"Ago, Surangi vahini, how beautiful you have become! Silly me, here I was expecting to see you dressed in your preteen parkar-polka!" Vidya hugged Surangi affectionately.

"Madhava, hope you managed to recognise your lovely wife!" Dinkar defied protocol and pulled Madhav's leg even as Surangi blushed furiously, not daring to look at the handsome young man who was the morphed form of her schoolboy husband.

"Of course I did! She has not changed that much!" Madhav mumbled, without meaning what he had uttered. How could he admit publicly that he had been stunned by the allure of his young bride who had blossomed into a comely woman!

Surangi's heart sank as her ears registered his words. What did he mean by them? Had he not noticed that I am no longer the child he once married? Seeds of self-doubt were promptly planted in her mind. The clever Dinkar immediately noticed her change in her expression.

"Surangi vahini, what your husband really meant to say but is too shy to express is that, to his eyes you look as exquisite as a sole lily bud blooming delicately among a crowd of lily pads after the first sun rays of the dawn kissed her petals!" Dinkar stepped in to save the situation. Surangi's spirit lifted at the suggestion after she realised that it was probably Madhav's awkwardness that stopped him from greeting her warmly on meeting her after such a long time. Her ears turned scarlet at the thought of what he may have actually said to her had they met each other under different circumstances.

"Arey wah, Dinkar! Looks like you are at your poetic best today! Obviously your intended has transformed you into a hopeless romantic!" Vidya's husband remarked with a smile.  

"The only thing obvious is that a love marriage addles even the most normal of human brains!" Dinkar's mother was quick to step in and sensing a verbal duel Vidya decided to intervene.

"Shanta mami, you are looking quite dignified and regal, I am sure Rohini's people will admire your bearing and deportment. We should be heading out now, we don't want to miss the auspicious muhurta for the sakharpuda!" Vidya reminded Dinkar's mother gently. Her words had the desired effect and Dinkar gave Vidya an appreciative smile as his mother rushed indoors to get together the gifts they were meant to give Rohini.

"Dinu bhaoji, Rohini is a very lucky girl!" Surangi told Dinkar in a hushed tone.

"Vahini, I think Madhav's been spending too much time in his anatomy class among those bleached human bones, he's emotions have become warped. Otherwise he is a perfectly normal guy, you'll find out soon enough!" Dinkar smirked at Surangi who looked away shyly. 

The family rushed to load all the packages in the two cars. Dinkar and his parents got into their car along with Sharayu, Vinayak and Madhu. Madhav placed Surangi's luggage in the boot of Manohar's car and got into the front seat. Waman sat with his mother and Surangi in the back seat. 

"Dada, do you wish to sit next to Surangi vahini?" Waman asked Madhav.

"We are better off sitting this way. You will have more leg room in the back!" Madhav remarked and Surangi pretended to look out of the window. She barely spoke during the journey though an animated conversation went on between Vidya, Manohar and Madhav.