Chapter 5

Yujin's POV

"Doll?"

I hung my head back and wondered to any celestial being who could possibly be listening: Why me?

"That's not my name." I retorted as I stood up from my place.

"What would you rather me call you?" His eyes trailed down until they landed on the keycard that lay on the floor by my feet. A hint of a smirk played on his lips as he questioned, "Seonsang-nim?"

Yoongi had explained to me that the blue stripe that ran through my keycard signified that I was an instructor of sorts, whether it be for dancing or singing, all instructors carried it. But the word felt strange to hear coming from him, directed at me. I pursed my lips, twisting them in distaste.

"My name is Yujin." I mumbled.

"Hm? Yujin," He tested my name against his lips. He broke into a small grin, a genuine one that wasn't laced with mischief and one I'd never seen before. "Pretty name for a pretty lady."

I rolled my eyes. "You know 'seonsang-nim' isn't sounding so bad right now."

Jungkook chuckled. "So what brings you here? In the practice room I was about to use?"

I wasn't sure why I was still here, still having this conversation with him, but I was. I had just now registered that he had moved closer to me as we spoke, only a few feet away. "You know about your combined performance with Got7, correct?" He nodded. "I'm going to be helping choreograph it."

One of Jungkook's eyebrows shot up, his eyes now lit with a spark of interest. "So you're the JYP rep." He hummed. "I didn't know you danced, doll."

"That's not very surprising considering you don't know anything about me. You didn't know my name until two minutes ago. We met yesterday." I fired at him. "And stop calling me 'doll'." I added.

"I'm not so sure about that. Something about you seems vaguely familiar." He challenged, entirely disregarding my request regarding the nickname.

My heart skipped a beat. I didn't know whether or not he recognized me from two years ago; despite the fact that half my face had been covered by a mask, my hair and eyes had still been visible, not to mention my physique. It was either that, or he noticed the similarities between my and my brother's appearances, which would ruin my desired confidentiality.

"Are you hiding something from me?" He wondered when he sensed my hesitation. "You and Yoongi-hyung seemed rather friendly..."

"I don't know what you're talking about. As far as I know, yesterday was the first time I've been in the same vicinity as you." I answered with what I hoped sounded more like conviction than defense, when truthfully on the inside I was bewildered at how perceptive and intuitive he could be. I kept my face stoic and blank of expression to sell my facade.

His piercing eyes searched my face, and I could only hope I had convinced him enough to drop it. He flicked his head at an angle before he began to saunter forward, nearing my proximity almost menacingly. I shifted my weight from one foot to the other nervously.

"You know, doll, you and I are going to be seeing a lot more of each other." His eyes held a level of intensity as he spoke, his voice low and gruff. "I wouldn't worry about having these boundaries or keeping this distance up for much longer if I were you."

I was about to fire back a retort, ready to give this arrogant flirt a piece of my mind, but my breath hitched as Jungkook moved even closer. His lip was tucked in as he brushed my hair behind my ear, revealing his pearly white bunny teeth which my eyes lingered on, while his eyes raked down my form. I could feel my cheeks begin to redden and the tension in the air was almost palpable.

"And by the way," he whispered, his hot breath hitting my ear causing tingles down my spine, "You're definitely keeping the hoodie."

~*~

In my flustered state earlier, I had simply walked as quickly as possible out of the room with a half-hearted, "Goodbye!" I hadn't, however, forgotten to grab my keycard and the packet of papers on my way out.

I was just exiting JYP's office now after dropping off the envelope with the required signatures. My boss and I had had a short discussion about my current position as well as the details on the performance. I could clearly remember the anticipating look on his face when I had first walked in, the eagerness and excitement displayed on his features never ceasing as we addressed music genres and dance styles versus the routine schedules like in the past.

I walked through the halls of JYP with an energetic pep in my step, causing looks to be thrown my way from my fellow co-workers. I couldn't blame them, this was more than unusual; ordinarily, I would wear a straight face and leisurely, unhurriedly walk as if it was the last thing I wanted to be doing. Which it normally was. But now, I couldn't help the goosebumps that sprung on my arms due to thrill and my animated, lively movements.

I finally arrived at my destination, eyes shining as I eagerly swiped my card to enter the room.

My boss, thanks to my new position, had given my full permission to use the large practice room that I had barely had the chance to visit ever since the new JYP building had opened for business. He had laughed at the way I jumped up in my seat at the news. No longer would I have to practice in the tiny trainee practice rooms at night.

But life never works out perfectly in my favor.

I furrowed my brows in disappointment seeing that the room was not vacant as I had expected it to be. The girls of Twice were currently in the middle of their song and I could tell they had no intentions of finishing soon. Quickly, and as quietly as possible so as not to be noticed, I shut the door and heaved a sigh.

Though I was saddened at the thought of having to delay my usage of the room, I was not disheartened. I could still practice.

~*~

I peaked my head into the practice room at Big Hit before swiftly entering and shutting the door, relieved that it was empty. I was hoping to avoid the haughty man after our encounter earlier. I could recall his smug face as I had speed-walked out of the room without giving him a chance to utter something more, my ears burning red.

I decided to warm up my limbs before I began running through any possible choreography. I had stripped myself of Jungkook's hoodie, which was now strewn over a chair, so that I was in leggings, sneakers, and a cropped t-shirt. Much more suitable for physical activity.

Scrolling through my music playlist, my eyes were drawn to a particular song. My heart constricted at the memories it entailed. Countless nights, vigorous practice, sore and aching limbs, tears shed, all for nothing. I pressed the song, allowing the tune to fill the room through the speakers as I allowed the music to take over my body.

My body moved mindlessly, pure muscle memory controlling my movements from the hours and hours I'd spent reviewing and perfecting. I danced facing the mirror, but my eyes were cloudy and unfocused as my mind was too distracted.

Too distracted to notice the figure that had stopped outside the door, watching through the narrow window with a look of disbelief across their face. Awe, confusion, but oddly, resolution filling them.

~*~

Hope y'all are liking the story :)
What's your guys' favorite new track from Love Yourself Answer? I'm torn between I'm Fine and Answer: Love Yourself but Idol is a bop too