The Blow Up

The first two weeks of classes were mostly uneventful. Well, every class except for Mad-Eye Moody's. Fred has barely been speaking to Lacey and he doesn't realize he's pushing her away. They still hang out with their other friends, but he just doesn't try to strike a conversation or be close to her like he used to. When she tries he shuts her down quickly.

Lacey was getting excited about her Hogsmeade date with Cedric. The pair have had many conversations and study dates and everything was going well for them so far. She liked Cedric a lot, more than she thought she would. With Fred pretty much out of the picture it was clear to Lacey that he didn't like her and that she should try her best with Cedric.

"Are you excited for your date?" Angelina asked Lacey while the twins, Lee and them were sitting around the fire in the common room studying and talking.

Lacey glanced at Fred who was staring intently at her, "um, yeah, I guess so," she replied awkwardly.

"Well, we hope it goes well and want to hear all about it after, right boys?" Angelina said.

"Yeah, of course.." Lee replies.

"Sure," George said.

Fred just shrugged his shoulders and went back to reading a book about explosives.

Lacey frowned and stared at Fred, tired of his attitude toward her. The others felt very awkward and just continued with their work.

"What's your problem?" Lacey blurted out before she could even think.

"Mine?" Fred replied, slightly shocked at her outburst.

"Yes, yours. You've treated me like garbage for the last two weeks. What? I'm just worth nothing to you anymore? You can't even bare to look in my direction for longer than a few seconds. So I disgust you? What's your problem with me!? Maybe you should've just left me behind at the Quidditch Cup. Then you'd be a lot happier," Lacey said, tears springing to her eyes as she stormed out of the common room.

"Go," was all George needed to say to his twin to get him to chase after her.

"Lacey! Lacey, slow down, that's not it. Please! Slow down!" Fred yelled to her, but Lacey didn't listen. She just ran as fast as she could.

Fred being a foot taller than her and much faster caught up to her rather easily.

"Please talk to me, I'm sorry," he said.

"I've said all I needed to say to you back in the common room. Leave me alone now."

"No."

"Fine. Follow me then, but I don't want to talk to you."

They walked side by side until they were outside. Fred took her small hand and led her to a tree by the water. He let go once they reached it and sat down. She sat down a few feet away from him, still fighting back tears.

"Lacey, look at me, please."

She looked at the sad boy and that's when she lost it. She started to cry right there in front of him. He scooted closer and hugged her, holding her as close as he could.

"Why do you keep hurting me?" She asked him between sobs.

"I don't know, I'm sorry."

"That's not a reason. I'm not going to stick around while you treat me like nothing."

"You're everything to me, Lacey. Can't you see that? I can't sit by while you talk about Cedric. You're the only girl I've ever been interested in, since first year and you just don't see it. I could NEVER leave you behind when you are in danger, like at the Quidditch World Cup. I would've searched for you in the middle of a hundred Death Eaters. Just to make sure you'd be okay, so don't ever say that to me again."

At first she didn't say anything. She just looked at him. A mix of emotions running through her. She knows she cares about Fred. She loves him, but isn't completely sure how yet. She also really, really likes Cedric and can't just end it all with him just to see how her and Fred will work out. She'd never be able to get over not trying.

"I didn't know, I won't bring him up again."

"No, it's fine. I just want you to be happy. It's just stupid. I'm sorry I upset you."

"I'm glad you told me, what can we do to be best friends again?"

What was meant to be a sweet and simple question broke Fred even more. He didn't want to be 'just friends' with Lacey.

"Don't go out with Cedric. Be with me. I promise I'll never hurt you. I'll be your forever," was what Fred wanted to say to the blonde beauty.

"I'll get over it. Don't worry. Enjoy your date tomorrow. When you get back I absolutely want to hear all about it," was what Fred actually said to her.

"You're the best, Fred. Thanks. We should do this more often. Just us," she said, standing up and holding her hand out to help Fred stand up.

They walked back to the common room laughing and joking like normal. When they walked in, their friends were sitting where they were before they took off.

"So... are you guys alright?" George asked.

"Of course we are, we're best friends," Fred replied, mustering up as much happiness as he could.

Lacey didn't realize the sadness behind the words, but the others did and they felt terrible for Fred.

"When are we going to pull a prank? We haven't pulled any at all this year," Lee said, and that's all it took to get the troublemakers started on a new prank.