Part 2 - Chapter 24: Wrench

Over the rest of the holidays, the mood in the house shifted – mostly because of Sirius. He got very absent yet very irritable and spent a lot of time alone or locked up in Buckbeak's room. Lately, I had more to do for the Order and at first, while I was busy during the days, I just thought Sirius was upset because of that. But even when I wasn't busy he'd barely talk to me or anyone else for that matter. I could only imagine it was because he knew we'd be gone soon, Harry and me, and I think he dreaded that day more than anything, worsening his trauma.

Not only I noticed that, but Harry as well and one day as we were alone cleaning up one of the upstairs rooms, he asked me about it. "I didn't do anything wrong, did I?"

"No, of course not, Harry," I assured him. "He's... very unlike himself. I think he's afraid of being here all on his own with us leaving soon."

"But he won't be alone," Harry said. "There's other people around."

"I'm afraid that's not the same as spending time with those he loves the most. We will be gone, and Remus isn't here very often lately." I swallowed at the thought of leaving since it was just as hard for me. "But he will get along, Harry. Don't you worry."

"And we will be back by Christmas, right?"

I smiled. "We will and we're going to celebrate as a family for the first time."

Harry smiled at me and I could see how much this meant to him. Not only to him but to me as well. The thought of it would have to be enough to carry me over the next few months. I hoped that the atmosphere in Hogwarts wouldn't be changed too much with what happened to young Cedric Diggory, but I knew it would be different. The question was how many people actually believed Dumbledore and Harry and how many believed the lies of the Ministry and Daily Prophet.

"Here you are! It's time for lunch." Molly had stepped into the room. When Harry had walked past her, she caught me before I could leave too. "Do you think you could talk to Sirius? He's not listening to me, but he needs to eat something. And socialize a bit."

I nodded at her and before going downstairs, I knocked at the door to Buckbeak's room. When Sirius didn't answer, I knocked again. "It's me, baby. Come out, it's time for some lunch."

I waited a few minutes but when nothing happened, I turned to go downstairs. In that moment the door opened, and Sirius appeared. He looked quite sad and tired.

"Hey," I said.

Sirius looked at me and sighed, rubbing his temples. he probably had a headache – he hadn't slept much last night either.

I walked towards him and dared to wrap my arms around his neck, looking at him intently.

"What's the matter, love?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Nothing."

I rolled my eyes at him, indicating that I knew he was lying. "You're acting strangely these days."

"I don't sleep well," he answered.

"Neither do I and I don't lock myself up with Buckbeak."

He teared his eyes away from mine. "I really don't want to talk about it, Ally."

Nodding, I broke away from him to leave him in peace, but he caught my hand and turned me around. "It's nothing to do with you specifically, okay? I just needed some time to think."

"Well, see... We only have a few days left before I go and I thought we'd make use of them. But maybe you just don't see how much I miss you." I had to blink away some tears, because what I said was true, and I pulled my hand out of his, hurt by his distrust.