Chapter Three

The Thompson company office building was large and spacious but it wasn’t the same as the Vergil building. It almost felt cozy to be there. That morning, she took an hour to get ready trying on all the outfits she had to get the best for the interview. She finally settled for a grey skirt that reached her knees, black heels and a white blouse. She tamed her black locks back into a loose bun and put a touch of makeup on her face. The moment she entered the building, she felt almost naked. Eyes sought her out. People passed her and greeted her with warmth, men eyed her like a piece of prime meat in the market and women eyed her with hostility.

Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. She thought to herself and she would have turned back if someone didn’t call to her.

“Excuse me,” the woman came. “You are ten-thirty, right?” She scanned her electronic organizer.

“I’m Isabella Stanford.” Isabella looked puzzled at the woman.

“Right, you are.” She smiled sweetly. “You have the ten-thirty interview.”

“Oh, right!” Isabella felt her cheeks heat up with embarrassment.  “Yes, that’s me—ten-thirty.”

The woman nodded and extended her hand to her. “I’m Marisa Gibbens, the interview coordinator. Come this way.”

Isabella followed the woman through a long corridor right to the end door. The woman was short but pretty. She had red hair and bright green eyes. She wore a black short skirt and a peach colored blouse that made her hair shine even more.

“Wait right here until you hear you number being mentioned.” She produced a name tag that had a number. “I’ll go and let them know you’ve arrived.”

“Thank you.” Isabella smiled at the woman and settled down on one of the comfy chairs where three other people waited patiently for their numbers to be called.

The interview wasn’t so bad and soon she was making her way back to Liam’s building. The moment the door opened, Audrey flew into the picture, her eyebrows pushed down into a frown and her full lips in a tight line. Though she looked upset, she still looked dashing in her long casual dress.

“Where have you been?” She asked.

“I had an interview at ten-thirty.” Isabella explained removing her heals from her aching feet.

“I thought I made myself clear last night. I’m the lady of the house and I have the right to know these things.” She tapped her heel on the marbled floor.

Isabella nodded. “You were very clear but I saw how tired you looked last night and I didn’t want to bother you. I won’t do it again, I promise.”

“Damn right you wouldn’t. Just wait until Liam returns.” She turned around and walked off.

So much for getting along. Isabella wasn’t the type to follow every rule laid down to her. She was a free spirit and the way Audrey barked out orders annoyed her but she wasn’t going to give up and call Liam to her rescue, she was going to deal with this herself.

Suddenly there was a knock. Isabella almost cursed out as she turned and opened the door. A tall fair haired man stood in front of her. He was handsome, mid-twenties; Liam’s friend.

“Good morning.” He grinned revealing his beautiful white teeth.

Isabella waited for that pang she felt when she first saw Liam ten years ago to come for this man but it didn’t and instead she began comparing him to Liam. Although this man was dashing in his own way, he didn't possess the dark and dangerous trait Liam had.