Chapter 42: As Time Goes On...

Chapter 42

The next morning, the sun rose in east. It's rays penetrating the skyscrapers of New York City. The empty spot where Athena wished a painting would hang was there, surrounded by the other works of art that became more beautiful as the sunlight hit them. Not only did the sunlight catch the paintings, but Steve and Athena as well.

They were enveloped into each other.

Laying together on the couch, Steve had his arms securely around Athena. Her head right under his chin. Her cheek and hand laid softly on his chest, while a snuggly blanket kept them warm.

Later in the morning, up in the penthouse, that still had some remodeling to be done to become the Avengers Tower, Pepper and Tony were having breakfast.

"Have you been getting enough sleep?" Pepper asked Tony as she took a bite from her fruit.

"I'm fine honey, you know I get creative at night." Tony responded, bitting his waffles.

Pepper sighed, "Tony, you're going to make me take some time off from the company to—"

"Babysit me?"

"No, but look at you!" Pepper exclaimed, her worry evident in her forehead.

"I assure you I'm fine, tonight we'll go to bed together okay?" Tony took a hold on Pepper's hand. "JARVIS?" Tony called.

"Yes sir?"

"What's taking Nina so long to come up?"

"She's in a deep comfortable sleep sir and doesn't wake at my commands."

"I should not be able to and wake up my 21 year old daughter," Tony got up from the table.

Pepper amused, shook her head lightly and continued eating her breakfast.

Tony went into the elevator and went down to Athena's floor. On the short ride, he contemplated whether or not Athena would scold him like Pepper had about his lack of sleep. He hardly had seen Athena with her mission on the Atlantic, and he hoped her instincts didn't pick up his current situation. When the elevator doors opened, and his eyes set sight on the most incredulous setting he had ever seen his daughter in, his fuse ignited.

"ATHENA NOELLE STARK!"

Athena shook at Tony's voice, waking up quickly, with Steve's arms still around her. Her heart accelerated causing her to panic and get up and away from Steve's arms, her newfound comfort. Steve also got up to stand next to her, his face almost nervous. He was more calm and collected than Athena, and knew he had to face the consequences of his actions.

They both had never seen a Tony Stark like this.

"Dad, I can explain, we were just—"

"Sleeping together!"

"Not like that!"

"Tony, let me explain—" Steve came in front of Athena to confront a very angry Tony Stark.

"You keep your hands off my daughter!" Tony spat.

"Dad!"

"Let me talk to the Captain alone, Athena!"

Athena didn't move from her spot, she found Steve's hand and interlaced her fingers with his. Tony took that as a defying moment, and it made his anger soar.

"NOW YOUNG LADY!"

Again, Athena trembled at the sound of his voice. She had never seen Tony so angry before.