Morning Run

Seren woke up about 4:30 AM, instantly as awake as if it were noon. She covered McGreggor up with a blanket without interrupting his horridly loud snoring and took a shower. She scrubbed her skin with the pink tomato-based soap and nothing else. She only used her fruity shampoo and conditioner when she was going to be in her human form for an extended period of time to further help hide her scent. 

Toweling off, she didn't bother putting any clothes on and tip-toed to the kitchen where she quickly ate a poptart, eager to be out and on her run as fast as possible. She scribbled McGreggor a note, saying that she would likely not be back until Sunday morning and stepped out onto the back porch, the towel still wrapped around her naked body.

She deeply inhaled the fresh mountain air and listened for anyone coming up the driveway. The coast was clear! She dropped the towel and lunged forward, shifting liquidly over the steps and landing on the soft grass as a wolf. Tongue hanging out, she zigzagged through the orchard as fast as she could, relishing in the wind whipping through her fur and the feeling of her muscles finally getting the strain they so desired. Seren pushed herself harder, flying out over the forty acre field beyond the orchard, the wind deafening as she sprinted with all her might, delight flowing through her veins at the pure freedom she felt.

She made a huge circle, her tail nearly touching the ground as she struggled to keep on her feet at her speed. Seren was, without a doubt, the fastest wolf there was. She ran so often and so hard, that she was sure none could compete with her. In fact, she would rather be in wolf form than human at any given time and often wondered if she wasn't a werehuman instead.

The grass was high and unruly, making it a game to leap up and disappear again. Seren nosed around until she discovered a flock of blackbirds and startled them up into the air, leaping as high as she could after them, then sprinting along beneath the flock.
Suddenly, a rustle caught her attention and she slowed just enough to see the brown back of a rabbit shooting away.

All humanity disappeared in an instant and Seren lunged after it, all her senses fixed on the fleeing prey. It was swift, but she was swifter, her paws more able to dig into the ground, her larger muscles rocketing her forward. She had its scent and the tiniest glimpse of its tail drove her onward. She saw the rabbit leap high over the wires and followed its arc effortlessly, chasing the prey into the forest on the other side, overcome by the smell of its fear. Her body contorted to match the agile movements of her prey as it dove at sharp angles to shake her off its trail.
The sound of its heart hammering against its ribs made her hunger in the most primal way. She saw nothing, heard nothing and  smelled nothing other than the rabbit. And that was her second mistake.

Something slammed into her right side, harder than a freight train, knocking the wind out of her. Seren rolled under the weight of it, the scent of wolf filling her nose. She struggled to get to her feet, blinking in a daze.

Fear washed over her. She was in Gray Paw territory. And the massive brown wolf did not look happy. It dove for her, teeth locking on the flesh of her neck and she screamed, trying to pull free. It bit down again, slashing deep cuts over her ribs with its claws. Yelping, she kicked the wolf off with her back legs and dipped beneath its chomping jaws, scrambling through the leaf litter to escape as fast s possible. Now that Seren was alert, she was able to dodge the brunt of the second wolf leaping for her. His bottom teeth still scraped across her back making her scream again and run for her life. She did her best to follow the scent of the tall grass back, the two wolves dangerously close on her tail. Relief washed through her when she finally saw the tangled mess of the fence and jumped over it, but it did not hold back the wolves that followed her onto McGreggor's land.
Now what?

Panicked and blood-stained, she ran toward the Wind Runner land. Surely, they would still all be asleep still from their party and would not notice her on their border. The paws of the wolves behind her sounded thunderous upon the ground and their breaths were hot and short. Within a minute, she was leaping over the other side of the fence, leaving the two behind in McGreggor's field.