39 | SURRENDER |

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG TO CLEAR OUT THE HOUSE

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG TO CLEAR OUT THE HOUSE. It helped that Jasper was able to manipulate everyone's emotions until every last high school graduate left. He had eagerly left Aurora alone as he helped downstairs, leaving her to her tumultuous thoughts.

Aurora finally left the attic when the only humans she sensed were Bella and the shapeshifters. Well, she smelled them at least. The wet-dog stench was enough to hamper the large amount of human's who had been in the house. She hadn't ever met any of them face to face, but she knew Jacob Black was technically her stepbrother from what Bella told her. He was also the same Jake who had been causing a lot of trouble in the girl's life which aggravated Aurora. Split feelings or not, consent was key and he violated that despite Bella forgiving him as evident by the way she stood next to him.

Jacob matched Aurora's challenging stare, though unaware of her reasons behind it. It angered him to see someone he once considered his sister a bloodsucker. The other two boys stared at the newborn as she gracefully entered the living room where they all gathered.

It was the first time they had all seen her, not including the brief glimpse Embry had had of her from the forest. It was odd how perfect Rory looked, the last time they saw her as human she had tanned skin, wild messy hair, and expressive hazel eyes but now with her porcelain skin, long wavy hair like an old Hollywood starlet, and cautious topaz eyes, it was unnerving.

Aurora met their stares with a raise of her brow. The wolf pack clearly despised her. They barely tolerated the Cullens, but Aurora was technically not bound to the treaty—she was free to do whatever she liked which expectantly pissed all the Quiluetes off. If only they knew what she could do. She'd like to see them try to win in a fight against her. Her lips played at a mocking smirk.

"How long?" Edward asked Alice, his brows furrowed.

Alice pursed her lips. "They'll be here in four days."

And Aurora would be leaving in three. The smirk dropped. She wouldn't be able to help them. It suddenly hit her how little time she had left with them. She had no choice but to leave.

And they had no idea at all their biggest battle would begin with the worst betrayal.

Carlisle shook his head. "This could turn into a blood bath."

"Who's behind it?" Edward asked Alice, reading her thoughts surrounding the vision.

Alice frowned. "I didn't see anyone I recognize. Maybe one..." The tiny vampire glanced at Edward pointedly, hoping he'd be able to provide some clarification.

Edward's eyes filled with realization as he recognized the face he saw in Alice's vision. "I know his face. He's local—Riley Biers. He didn't start this."

Esme frowned, worried of the heightening danger posed to her family. "Whoever did is staying out of the action."

Why did that sound sickeningly familiar? Aurora thought, pursing her lips in a firm line. How coincidental was it that an entire newborn army bent on destroying the Cullens would be coming to town the very next day after she left the Cullens to return to the Volturi?