C. 12

It takes him a moment to react, his lips twitch upwards to a smile. His eyes genuinely happy as he gazes longingly at her.

Y/N has a handful of cotton balls in her throat, her mind out of control. His smile...

He's beautiful.

***

Days are getting shorter and time begins to drain as easily as water between fingers. Hours and minutes and seconds don't exist to her anymore. She only watches the sky outside her window, reading it like a clock.

They say time goes by fast when you are having fun. She isn't sure whether or not that is true. Time goes by fast for her because she has forgotten the meaning of time and what lays outside these walls. Time, to her, doesn't matter anymore. She has learned to be patient, learned to become less restless because of being enclosed I a room for years.

Everything she is familiar with is here.

She used to have days that went by so agonizingly slow that she just slept all day, trying to make it all go by a little faster.

Now, those once slow days are filled with nothing buy Toby talking to her. She enjoys his presence more than anything. She knew she told herself not to get attached to him, but she couldn't help it. Over the months that had known each other, she slowly fell into this vulnerability when it can to him.

Seeing his facial features has become a daily thing now, since a few weeks ago when he revealed his face to her. He takes his mouth guard and goggles off when he arrives, then slips them back on before he leaves.

When watching him leave back into the forest she wishes he would take her with him. She wants to be with him, but that's impossible. She is trapped here as long as she is 'sick' or as many say 'insane'.

Just another glory of being her.

Y/N wasn't sure what time it was, it was late in the afternoon, maybe. The sun has dropped down into the trees and splashes reds and yellows and oranges into the world outside her window. A million leaves dipping in the wind, fluttering as they drop to the ground, forgotten.

Yet something didn't feel right.

There was something off about today, the chills never leave her body and she doesn't know why she just can't settle down her rapid thinking mind. Something was terribly wrong.

That was until Toby came out of the brush of trees. Blood was everywhere. Something in his hand, an object. It was a hatchet that had an orange handle.

Her eyes widen with fear, Toby was injured. He was close to the window now. He had blood on his hoodie, she had a dreadful feeling it wasn't his. Her mind couldn't stop racing, going too fast for her to really care about whose blood it was or why he was holding a hatchet. All she wanted to know whether or not he was okay.

Her view of Toby is blocked when he walks to the window, only his shoulders and up in view.

She quickly goes to grab her notebook to ask what happened, but he holds a bloodied gloved hand up, his mouth guard and goggles now off. Seeing him look so troubled made her nervous.

She hesitates, her eyes darting back to her notebook before sits back down and in front of the window. She stares at him as if somehow he could explain what happened to him.

He folds his arms on the window sill, his chin resting. She knows he is studying her. Her expression of uselessness, and worry.

Toby closes his eyes, long eyelashes batting together. What if he falls asleep and then bleeds out? What if he passes out onto the ground and all she could do was watch him die?

"Toby."She says, her voice is broken. It's weird to say his name aloud, never has she spoken it. It was nice. The word rolled off her tongue with ease and it felt so natural to speak.

As if somehow hearing her, his eyelids fly open and he won't look away from her gaze. His expression was unreadable. Something of wonder and curiosity.

She is suspended in the moment. She blinks and bottles up her breaths in jars so she wouldn't suffocate. He took her breath away; his eyes, his curled up lips--she thought everything about him was perfect.

She notices she is daydreaming and immediately remembers he is hurt. This snaps her back to reality.

Her mouth falls closed and her eyes look down, full of visible irritation. He should go get help, not stand outside the window staring at her while he was bleeding.

After several minutes of feeling utterly helpless, Y/n finally pulls out her notebook despite his expression when she does so.

You can explain to me later, just please go get your leg treated.

Only then does he leave, limping back into the trees.

***

She wishes she never had to sleep. She just wants to freeze time and stay very, very still, and if she never moves at all maybe everyone would forget about her.

If time stands still nothing with ever go wrong. And she could finally rest.
She could finally be free of all around her.

Toby came back days and days later.

Just as he was going to explain everything, the sound of the door being unlocked sounds through her room. Her eyes widened and she quickly motions Toby to duck with her hand and points at the door.

It takes him a second to understand, but when he does he ducks down out of view. Y/N quickly puts her notebook in its usual spot just as the door opens.

A beautiful woman who looked her age steps in, she had dark wavy hair and a long black trench coat on. Her eyes. Her eyes were so familiar. The door shuts closed behind her.

Y/N stares warily at the woman, pressing her back against the small window just in case Toby pops up.

The woman smiles with a small pair of pink lips, "Y/N. How are you? I haven't seen you in ages!"

Her smile, her voice.

She knows her.

"Saskia?"Y/N mumbles loud enough to hear. Why was she here?

She nods her head, her hazel eyes bright. Saskia smiles a cunning smile, showing white teeth.

"How about we catch up, hm?"