51. Daddy's Little Girl

[Edited]

A cookout on the beach

Why Jungkook thought it was a great idea to show my dad his new found cooking skills to win him over was beyond me. 

After Jungkook had to let Gustave go he's taken multiple cooking classes to prove he was completely capable of being independent, proving more to himself or to me, I wasn't sure.

Or maybe he secretly wanted me to drown in the ocean so that he could look like a knight in shining swim trunks by saving me. 

Either way my dad didn't look too happy as he observed Jungkook attempting to sloppily flip a burger over on the grill. I watched as the burger completely missed the sizzling surface and flopped onto the sand instead. My dad smacked him in the back of the head to scold him and I giggled, shaking my head in pity at my disheartened bunny.

"I'm sure he'll come around," my mom sat down next to me on the blanket spread out, perfectly shaded under a large beach umbrella, a floppy straw hat resting cutely over her head.

I smiled at her as she handed me a water, opening one for herself as well and I gazed back at Jungkook who's watching my dad easily flip burgers with a pout.

"I hope so. I really love him, mom. I wouldn't be with him if I didn't, you know that," I said softly, voice begging for my mom to understand and she chuckled lightly, nudging my shoulder.

It was nice seeing my parents again. 

I was finally able to update my mom on all of the events they've missed, and she didn't seem too pleased to hear about what happened with Jungkook's parents one bit.

Thankfully, I was able to cut that conversation short after mentioning my college graduation.

"I'm not the one you have to worry about. You're daddy's little girl after all," we both exchanged a knowing smile and nod. "Your father doesn't realize how much you've changed, how much you've matured. Time flies faster than you think when you're traveling."

"Well you guys have missed every birthday since I graduated high school," I said teasingly but my mother frowned, eyes glued to the side of my face.

"You know we never meant-- "

"Mom, it's okay! I totally get it, it's always been your dream. I'm old enough to take care of myself anyways. You don't have to be with me every step of the way," I tried to reassure her, maybe even myself as my heart stung around the edges.

'I have Jungkook to be with me every step now... ' 

My mom grabbed my hands, forcing me to look at her. "I want to be with you every step, y/n. I mean, you're engaged now! We've missed out on so many moments in your life and that's not fair to you. You're my daughter and I want to watch you accomplish everything you set your mind on. And your father-- " She looked over at the grumpy man lecturing Jungkook on grilling etiquette and grinned. "He just wants to see you happy."