Nightmares

[Nick]

  I opened my eyes, and was somewhat confused. You know when you have those mornings where you wake up and you're like, "where am I again?" or "what exactly was I doing last night?" Yeah it was one of those mornings. I was looking around the room to get a couple of clues. I looked down to find that the floor wasn't visible, then I realized where I was, because it was littered with clothes. Yep, this is my room.

  Checking the time, I was relieved to find that I still had nearly an hour and a half until I had to be at the station that morning, but my stomach wasn't gonna let me snag any more sleep, so I sat up and slid off of my cot-bed thing and onto the floor, stretched, get the yawn in. There we go. I just had some pajama bottoms on and that was it, so I switched into some corduroys and a polo shirt, both of which I had to hunt for in my sea of clothes on the floor.

  I then trudged through the clothes to get out of my room, and finally emerging, entered into my bathroom in the hall. The mirror in there was pretty dirty, so I took a towel and wiped it a little in order to see my face clearly. My whiskers were crazy and pointing everywhere, my scruff had several cowlicks, and one of my ears was bent backward in an awkward position. I looked down and behind me to see that my tail was all greasy looking and matted in some places too. Sighing at my filthiness, I washed and dried my face, adjusted my whiskers, combed my tail back to its poofy shape, and brushed my teeth, making sure to clean the canines to an exceptional whiteness.

  Looking into the mirror again, this time with satisfaction, I made my exit into the hall leading to the kitchen and living room. When I entered the kitchen, I began thinking about what I should make for breakfast that morning. I had some good old bug meat in the fridge and some seasonings, but that was about it. Maybe I can bread and fry it. That'd be kinda good. I thought.

  I threw on an apron, grabbed the meat out of the fridge and the necessary items and-or ingredients to make my fried meat, I noticed Luke past the counter, still sleeping on the couch, and looked on him with pity. Poor kid. He hadn't been getting too much sleep from what he had told me the day before. Bombarded by some nightmare every night. I was sure that after some time he would start to feel better.

  I once again attended to the meal I was cooking by pouring some flour in a bowl, adding eggs, breading the meat in the eggs and flour, getting my seasonings ready, and throwing it into an oily pan on the burner. Pretty simple really.

  As I was in the process of frying my meat, Luke suddenly sat up straight on the couch, gasping for air. I jumped a little at his sudden awakening, tensing up somewhat for a moment, then relaxed and looked back down at my frying-pan fretfully. "Same nightmare?"

  He sighed, having calmed down too. "What do you think?"

  I didn't say anything.

  "I have to get back, Nick," he said, sounding depressed.

  I looked back at him. His face looked a little sunken, he had dark circles under his eyes, and messy fur- or hair, I guess. He was looking pretty down as well to say the least, so I endeavored to bring his spirits up. "Hey, you will. I promise, but for now, just keep your chin up kid. Things are gonna be alright," I said with a smile on my face.

  He met my eyes with his, seeming to look a little more hopeful. "Thanks. It's good to have a friend through all of this."

  "Don't sweat it," I assured him, tending once more to my meal. After a few seconds I heard Luke press the power button on the television, and it cracked to life with the news. I didn't look up to watch, but I could hear it well enough.

  "Over the past twenty-four hours there have been multiple attacks reported in all districts of Zootopia, resulting in mass confusion and terror. Many victims have been transported to nearby hospitals in ambulances, but there have been six fatalities among the victims reported to this point." That doesn't sound too good. "It is supposed by government officials and the general public that the catastrophic events as of late may be the result of another administration similar to that of the savage attacks nearly three months ago. However, attempts have been made to administer antidotes to the few captured savage mammals now in restraint, but no success has been reported."