T w e n t y S i x

Skye's POV

I walk downstairs and into the kitchen, and find a batch of cupcakes lying on the island. I look around, wondering who made them.

It was probably the chef who made it because they look so professional and delicious. I just want to stuff them all into my mouth.

Dante said I had to stay away from him this weekend, so I did. It's Monday today and I assume that we are going back to Spain.

"Can I ask you something?" someone says from behind me.

I turn around and frown, finding Dante standing with his arms folded across his chest. I nod.

"How are you so strong?"

"What?" I ask. I can barely open a pickle jar. I wouldn't exactly consider myself strong.

"I was thinking about it— about you— and I don't understand how you do it. You just seem so put together, as if your life is perfect. I mean, your family ditched you and you have nobody. You became a stripper just so you wouldn't be homeless and now you're staying in a house with three strange men that are taking you to live in Spain. I don't understand how you..." he trails off.

I avert my gaze to the ground and don't say anything. When he says it like that, it sounds bad.

I guess it is the truth.

"It's hard, but I can't change anything. I hate crying and feeling sorry for myself. What's the point? It's not going to make anything better."

"Don't you miss your parents? Would you change your situation, if you could?"

"Of course I would. My biggest fear was losing my family. I would have nightmares about it and then... I lost all of them. I miss my parents and my brother more than anything. I..." I trail off, still staring at the ground. "I hate that I miss my mom, because she left me. She doesn't care."

Well, great, this conversation made me feel a lot better.

I walk out the kitchen and to the lounge right next door. There is a huge mirror hanging up on the wall and I stand in front of it, staring at my reflection.

The girl that stares back at me doesn't feel real. She has dark rings under her eyes, pale skin and dull hair. No wonder my mom left me. I'm not even pretty enough to be a stripper. That lap dance was probably torture for Jensen.

I close my eyes. "I wish I was pretty," I whisper so softly that I can barely hear myself.

Great, now I'm sad.

I feel his muscular arms wrap around my body and I suck in a breath. He places a kiss on my neck and I glance into the mirror, looking at him.

He smiles at me. He is the most beautiful man I have ever laid my eyes on. "You're not pretty. You're absolutely stunning, you're smart, you're strong, you're funny. You're worth more than you could imagine. Your mother is stupid for not realising what an amazing person you are. Anyone would be lucky to have you love them."

I push him off me and step away. "Why are you being nice to me? I don't get it. You're sexy and everything a girl wants, so go and choose any other girl."

"You think I'm sexy?" he asks. I roll my eyes. "If I am 'everything a girl wants', then why don't you want me?"

I don't reply and he walks up to me. I walk backwards, not wanting him close to me. I don't know what might happen if he comes close to me again.

He keeps walking, and so I keep moving backwards, until I reach the sofa and accidentally fall back into the plush cushions.

He sits next to me and pulls my body on top of him, so that I am straddling him. My heart starts to beat faster and my entire body feels like it's on fire.

"I guess I'm into that whole 'helpless homeless girl turned stripper' vibe you have going on," he teases.

"Oh, so that's a vibe now?"

He grins. "Why don't you want me?" he asks again. I purposely ignored him the first time he asked but I don't think I can avoid the question this time.

I sigh and move further down on his lap, then lean my head on his shoulder and close my eyes. He wraps his arms around my body, making me feel really safe and comfortable.

Why don't I want him?

"I don't know," I whisper. "I guess it is just like those movies, where if you let someone love you, and you choose to love them back, then you give them the power to hurt you. I've lost enough, already."

"But—"

"Dante, please drop it?" I beg. He keeps asking the same question and I don't have a real answer for him. All I know is that it is not going to happen and nothing is going to change my mind.

He moves me off him and stands up. "I made the cupcakes for you. We leave at twelve," he states and then walks off.

He made me cupcakes?

I smile. All I can see is Dante covered in baking powder and frosting as he makes perfect little cupcakes for me.

That's the way to my heart.

•=•=•

I want cupcakes now— those really fluffy ones with sprinkles on top.

How are you guys?

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx