sixty-three

62

VIOLA BENJAMIN

"WHAT DO PEOPLE EVEN wear on dates?" Viola groans in agony, staring into her clothing filled closet and the array of garments that scatter her bedroom floor

"WHAT DO PEOPLE EVEN wear on dates?" Viola groans in agony, staring into her clothing filled closet and the array of garments that scatter her bedroom floor. She presses the palms of her hands tight against her eyes, letting out a soft whimper of annoyance. She had shamelessly been looking for the right outfit for almost an entire day and her fail in search of it was not helping her first date jitters.

"You could always go naked." Genevieve replies, lying on her back lazily across Viola's bed as she flips through a three-month-old Vogue magazine that she seems to always pick up whenever she's around. She looks up momentarily, a cheeky smile coveting her lips. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

Viola cringes, bending down to pick up a lone canvas shoe, throwing it onto her friend's stomach. "I'm sure everyone else would." She continues to sift through the mountains of clothes that she realises she doesn't even wear half of. With a final huff, Viola settles on the safe choice of black ripped mum jeans and a pastel green knit jumper. Cute, yet appropriate for the autumn weather.

Genevieve looks up at her in mock distaste, mumbling something along the lines of 'covering too much skin' which Viola simply replies to with an eye roll. The shell-white shutters that adorn her bedroom windows stay open, allowing the oncoming moonlight to spill through the ajar space. A single stream of light from the night reflects off a surface in her room and Viola catches the sliver of mirror that pokes out against the wall. She breathes in deeply and fidgets with the long, scarf that she stares into every morning.

With a sigh, she hides the mirror—even though there was never really anything to hide to begin with—and turns around abruptly, facing her best friend whose once sarcastic demeanor had now turned into nothing but solemn eyes and sad frowns.

"Vi, you don't need to hide." Genevieve sits up and grabs Viola's hand in her own, drawing soft circles on the back of it with her thumb. "You're so incredibly beautiful. Stop hiding from a world that has already been admiring you."

Viola smiles sadly. "I'm trying." Her soft voice cracks and she tucks a stray strand of hair behind her ear. Clearing her throat, she pulls her shoulders back and lifts her head high, swallowing the ever-growing lump in her throat.

Genevieve sighs, "so, you ready for your big night?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." Viola pulls her hand from Genevieve's, who stands up and wraps her arms gently around her best friend. They part at the sound of Viola's phone buzzing and she moves to grab it from her desk.

i'll see you in about an hour
[6:05pm]

oh, and wear something warm
[6:05pm]

not that you aren't hot enough already
[6:05pm]

you drown in cheese mr green
[6:05pm]

only the best for you miss lancaster
[6:05pm]

"I'm so proud of you, Vi. And remember, this," Genevieve points a finger towards where Viola's heart would be. "In all its compassionate, kind glory, is what makes a person pretty."