CHAPTER 39: Green-Eyed Devil

ADRIAN

"Adrian! What do they call you? The hedonist? Ah! The skirt chaser! Where is your trophy girlfriend this time?", Blake mocked.

"Atleast I am not an alcoholic with anger issues. That would be...", I said, staring him down until I was interrupted.

"Blake, Hi!", a chirpy voice interrupted.

"Ummm...Vanessa...Hudson, right?", Blake looked at the brunette beside me.

The hell?

"Correct", she smiled.

"Do you now remember who I am?"

"Um...hum. Blake Walters, CEO of Walters Pacific and the Businessman of thee...", she recited but then stiffened and lowering her voice, continued, "Year."

I glanced at her but she didn't look up. Instead Blake looked at me with a visible smirk on his face. I felt bile rise into my throat and I clenched my fists, remembering how my father had suggested Blake's name instead of mine.

"Looks like you remember faces better than names.", He suggested to Vanessa.

"Well you do have an unmistakable face. Too hard to forget.", she beamed.

"Haha thanks. Well you look Um...is lovely the right word? Cause after seeing you I am at a loss of it."

Vanessa laughed," Smooth."

Are you kidding me? Are they flirting now?? If I stood there any longer, I think I could puke. I could still understand Blake's advances but Vanessa? Why the hell was she leading him on?

I placed my hand on her back, drawing her attention back from that asshole. She frowned and I lowered my voice, saying,"There are some people you need to meet."

"Alright, go ahead. I'll meet you in a minute.", she said.

She is choosing him over me now? Ok! That is it.

I said coldly,"I am not going to wait. You be there in five seconds or just forget it."

"Ok!", she nodded and then looked back at Blake, "I will see you around."

He smiled and then left, as did we. Thankfully, I didn't see him for the rest of the day because if I had, he would have to go about the rest of the trip with a broken jaw and me, with bruised knuckles.

I introduced Vanessa to my clients and friends and then interacted with the press. I didn't strike a direct conversation with her, however. I was too pissed to even try. I returned back to my room as soon as the programme for the day ended. I changed my clothes and began to flip through good movies to watch on Netflix.

When I finally decided upon Death Race 2050, I heard a ringing laughter outside my room. I went to open the door since we had decided that whosoever returned to the room first would take the keys. I was about to open the door but I realised she was speaking to someone. I looked through the peephole in the door, only to find her and Blake talking about something.

I clenched my fists, not liking this growing friendship which had a potential of becoming so much more than just that and then I pushed the do not disturb button, preventing her from from ringing the bell. I switched off my cell phone and increasing the volume of the television, I began to watch my movie.

The movie ended at about 11:00 pm and I began to feel hungry. My last meal was a good nine hours ago. I finally switched on my mobile and a plethora of notification poped up on my screen and one of them was:

Missed calls
Vanessa H (9)

I left my room and went down wondering where she might be and if what I did was too harsh. I went to the lobby but I didn't find her there so I proceeded to the restaurant. I was relieved to find her and even more to see her with a bunch of other billionairesses and billionaire wives instead of Blake. I looked around for him but fortunately he was not there and I went over to her table.

"Hello girls!", I gave a half-smile, standing next to Vanessa's chair.

"Adrian! It is so lovely to see you. Come, take a seat.,"said a middle aged women, who I assumed to be Mrs. Sokolov, the co-owner of the hotel.

I chose a chair and sat between a young blonde and another brunette, whom I was sure was single. They tried to conceal their smiles on being picked but failed miserably.

Soon the women went back to chatting but the girls beside me continued to dote on me while one from across the table winked at me. My smile converted into a smirk, enjoying the attention I was being given. This could take a while...

...but alas! Vanessa got up, excusing herself as it was already late. I rid myself from the clutches of the girls, which was unsurprisingly very difficult and then went up to my floor. As the elevator opened, I saw Vanessa sighing with relief, "Thank god you are here. I forgot to take the keys from you and going back there would be awkward as hell."

Why didn't she ask me about why I didn't pick up her calls?

I frowned at her unusually mature behaviour. Or maybe not! Maybe I was wrong and she was planning another revenge plan.

I silently opened the door and sat down on my bed with a room service menu observing her, anticipating what was going on in her mind.

"You didn't eat?", she raised an eyebrow.

I shook my head and then asked, "What about you?"

"I didn't have anything either."

"Should I get you something?"

"Umm...whatever you are getting yourself.", she smiled but it looked forced.

She wasn't mad at me, she was upset...

Should I apologise? No. I never apologise.

I ordered a grilled club chicken sandwich for both of us. I didn't remember when I had one the last time but I knew it was close to what she would have chosen to eat. Maybe she would understand that I was trying to make up to her. I heard Bryan's voice in my head, telling me what a chicken I was but I managed to push it away.

Vanessa went to the bathroom and changed into a pair of jeans and t-shirt. Shouldn't she be wearing her pyjamas? What was she up to?

My question was answered soon enough when she began to pack her suitcase.

Shit! I really screwed up big time!

A/N: Oooo...how are you liking these new developments? Also, sorry for the late update. I am in the middle of my exams and writing this chapter was, idk why, unusually difficult. Anyways, tell me if you liked it.

Love you all. 😍😍😍