XXIX

"Key-" Raen questions as he sees me run forward but stops, he must catch the scene in front. Figuring out quickly what was happening as I hear him follow behind me.

I bolt forward. Feet hitting cobble as I train my gaze solely on Malakei and the bearded man with the knife in his hands.

"Hey stop!" I scream at the two. My heart in my throat when I see the man swing his knife across Malakei's front but Malakei moves backwards, missing the knife that was about to gut him only slightly. The moment was short lived when Malakei trips over his own feet and the man smirks, kicking him in the side making Malakei lurch upwards at the contact. Pain washing over his features.

"I said stop!" I yell loudly over the sound of now cheering men as they encourage their bearded friend kicking and stomping on Malakei, who by now was beginning to spit up blood.

I knock the man's knife out of his hand, grabbing his wrist and bending it back as I grab his upper arm, forcing him to kneel on the floor painfully as I hold his arm behind him. He cries out and curses me.

"I. Said. Stop." I say lowly to the man before pushing away from him when I hear Malakei groan behind me. I'm immediately kneeling down and resting a hand on Malakei's shoulder assuringly. I can feel him tense.

"It's alright Mal, I'm going to get you home ok?" I say to him slightly breathless as he clutches his eyes shut and breaths through his nose, the smell of alcohol on him staining his clothes.

"What the fuck you little cunt?" The man questions lowly and I'm about to turn around to him when he kicks my back making me grunt in pain as I clutch Malakei's shoulder.

I'm awaiting another hard kick to inflict pain on my back but it never comes and I look back to see Raen holding the fallen knife to the man's neck with dark eyes.

"Hurt him again." Raen says darkly as he moves closer to the man, digging the knife closer against his neck. The man whimpers.

"I fucking dare you."

"You're fucking-"

I never hear what he says next as Raen stabs the man in the shoulder making the man scream and begin sobbing in pain and I wince at the sound. Raen grabs the man's face as he moves closer to his ear to whisper.

"I was being nice when I stabbed you in the shoulder, next time I may not be so nice. Now Fuck off."

A shiver runs up my spine at Raen's menacing words but I let it slip my mind when Malakei groans in pain beside me and my eyes go to him.

"Key..?" He questions through his pain as he opens his tired eyes up at me. "What..-"

"It's alright Mal. Can you stand?" I question worriedly and it takes a second for him to nod before he's clutching the cobble and pushing himself to his knees. I move to the front of him and help pull/drag him to his feet. His feet seem to be weak from under him and seeing he was taller than me, almost crushes me as he topples over me, his arms clutching me in either an embrace or for support I wasn't sure as my hands went around his back to steady him.

"Gods Mal.." I whisper in worry as I move to his side, sliding his arm over my shoulder as my other hand goes around his waist. I let out a breath.

"Can you stand?"

"Keylin..I-" He goes to speak, looking exhausted and sad. It's then that I remember today and how miserable he was. He's not much different now and it frightens me to see him like this.

Before he can say what seemed to be troubling his mind, Raen speaks.

"What are you doing here Malakei?" Raen asks coldly with a crease between his brows as he takes in the state of Malakei from behind.