↳ THIRTY-NINE

EXCLUDING THE PADDOCK, Izzy couldn't remember the last time she had been to a bar or a club that wasn't Lux — maybe it had been that notorious lesbian bar that had shaped her teen years, but for once, she and Mazikeen were seated in the ...

EXCLUDING THE PADDOCK, Izzy couldn't remember the last time she had been to a bar or a club that wasn't Lux — maybe it had been that notorious lesbian bar that had shaped her teen years, but for once, she and Mazikeen were seated in the corner booth of an entirely new place, with rock music competing for attention with the TV and people of all ages and genders huddled up by the bar or the pool table. It was the kind of bar one imagined at the mention of a bar, and it was nice to visit a place like that after growing so accustomed to the busy nightlife of L.A, to see the flipside of the same coin. And the beer wasn't half-bad either — Izzy would know, she had been drinking from the same bottle in agitation for the past, very, very silent ten minutes.

It was kind of scary, how her relationship with Maze had gone through those ups and downs so unexpectedly. Just when they had gotten through the worst, they were reminded that it was actually yet to come, and solving that messy situation wasn't easy by any means. This wasn't easy — even if they were sitting rather close to one another, and the feelings they had recognized a while ago still lingered in the air, it was awkward and neither of them knew where to start. Facts were, Maze had proven herself to be a demon, and Izzy wasn't quite sure how she felt about that. But, she consoled herself by thinking that she did know how she felt about Mazikeen.

"So, uh...", Izzy cleared her throat, for what had to be the third time, but this time, she actually continued instead of letting the silence slide right back into its slot. "This is awkward, I'm sorry", she began, a quiet laugh following her words as she covered her face with her hand, but Maze didn't hesitate to disagree, her own fingers wrapping around Izzy's to give them a gentle, reassuring squeeze. But when the redhead looked up at her with a doubtful look, Mazikeen dropped her hold, though the defiant gaze still remained stuck on the deputy's breathtaking features.

"You have nothing to be sorry about. I did what I felt was right, and... I will admit, it hurt when you reacted the way you did but I don't regret doing it. It is who I am, but... it can be a lot and I don't blame you for being upset", Maze elaborated, surprisingly insightful and mature on the matter — she was well-known as the impulsive one, the one who didn't have a grasp on human emotions or behavior, yet she was, quite frankly, blowing Izzy away with her calm voice and rational mannerisms.

That didn't take away the guilt that had lodged into Izzy's heart, though. Even after hearing that there was no need for it, she couldn't help it — as she listened, she saw the similarities between her and Maze, how they had come out to the person they cared about, on the hunt for understanding and support only to be turned away. And as that realization dawned onto Izzy, how she resembled her father more than ever before, she felt sick to her stomach and looked down at the wooden table, adorned with engraved initials of couples who had sat by it before. Maze had trusted her, had been so hopeful and brave and Izzy had done everything to squash that confidence — or at least some of it.