Chapter 3: The Fault in Trying

Dedicated Chapter Song: Facade - Disturbed

Broken down, hurt again, it never ends. Frightened and trembling. Did she fall again? An accident? Her eyes encircled in black again.
(About Hiromi)

"Oh, you're home already?" One of my nanny, Uremi's clones smiles at me as I walk in the kitchen to grab a snack

"Oh, you're home already?" One of my nanny, Uremi's clones smiles at me as I walk in the kitchen to grab a snack. There were three clones surrounding me; one doing dishes, one sweeping, and one making a grocery list. Each of Uremi's clones served a single purpose. Once their purpose was over, they disappeared and Uremi could create another one for another purpose.

"Yeah..." I mutter, slouching my back over one of the chairs at the dining table.

"Do you have a lot of homework?"

"Do you need some help with it?"

"Why don't you take off your uniform so I can wash it?"

"Guys- I'm fine." I say with an exhausted sigh as I grabbed a package of instant noodles from the cupboard. "I can handle myself."

"Oh, there's that attitude again."

"Always insisting on being alone."

"It's been this way for almost three years. We shouldn't expect much from her."

"She's just going through a phase."

"Why did you dye your hair all black again, dear? Don't you like your natural half-hair?"

I shake my head and grab a ramunē soda from the fridge. "I do...sorta. I just don't want anyone figuring out my quirk based on my looks."

"How can you ever see with your hair covering your eye like that?"

"It's not that bad. You know what happens when people look at it. I don't want people to be scared of me..." I sigh, tugging my hair back finally. At home is the only time I'm actually free to be myself. I know that as long as Uremi keeps her distance, I can't actually hurt her, even if I manage to damage one of her clones.

"Your martial arts trainer rescheduled again. You'll be having your lessons at seven tonight."

I spit out my soda, dripping it all over myself. "You couldn't have texted me that sooner?!" I sputter, staring at the clones with wide eyes. "Great! What time is it now?!"

"It's currently five fourteen."

"Dammit. Someone clean that up." I point to the mess I'd made on the floor. "I need to go do some homework before Master Yang gets here." Without another word I grab my backpack and drag myself to my room.

"That brat. She didn't make her ramen."

Sliding my door open, I toss my backpack onto my bed and lock myself inside my room. My house was rather large, and mostly traditional Japanese styled, but I was really the only one who actually lived here. Uremi slept in the guest house a few meters away from the main house, but her clones were always busy working. So, really, I wasn't fully "alone", but since my mother left, it always felt that way.