T H I R T Y N I N E

LINA

The next few weeks at rehab were a bit...odd to say the least. One day, I had shown up only to find a group of cheerleaders, smiling so brightly at me. I was confused, especially more confused when Ethan pretended as if they weren't there. They cheered and hollered during my entire workout, actually helping to motivate me. Plus, they were all very sweet.

However, when I asked Ethan about it he shrugged and acted as if he had nothing to do with it.

Then, another day, I came in and the entire gym was filled with vases of flowers. The room was filled with my two favorite, orange poppies and white magnolia's. The sight was absolutely breathtaking, and, I got to take them home. They were a happy sight and helped to brighten my home and brighten the rehab session.

However, once again, Ethan acted as if he had no part in it.

Another day at rehab, an entire catering company was there and cooked street-tacos right in front of my face and sent a huge amount of them home with me.

Then another day, halfway through my rehab, I entered the gym only to be surprised with a bunch of people, throwing confetti up in the air and congratulating me on getting "halfway done".

Soon, I was starting to believe that Ethan had nothing to do with this because, on some days, even he'd get surprised at the things that would show up there.

One of my favorite days, however, was the day when I showed up and the entire room was filled with the sweetest little puppies. Ethan was especially irritated because, unfortunately, the puppies peed and pooped all over the gym. The good thing was, though, that I got to keep one of the dogs. 

I also spent the money to get the little guy trained to become a certified service dog. He was big now, only a year old, but he was a Golden Retriever so he go big very quickly. He came to my rehab sessions with me and helped me move when I needed it.

By now, I was able to walk but my movements were still a bit stiff and my legs were still a bit weak but I was progressing a lot quicker than Ethan had expected. In the beginning, I believed that it would take forever to be able to move again but it's been nearly three months and I can walk and now I am starting on strengthening my legs.

As the days progressed more weird and unexpected things kept happening. Balloons, one time, decorated the entire gym, a band came and played an inspirational song for me, I was served as much ice cream as I wanted for a day, another day there were bags and bags of clothes and shoes, all just for me. Another time, there were bubble machine's going in the gym and it was so funny to watch Lenny, my service dog, pop the bubbles all the time. On another occasion, after my hard workout, a masseuse was there to give me a post-workout massage that was absolutely amazing. There were also sticky-notes all over the walls of the gym with inspirational and motivational messages written on them.

Finally, when it began to be too much and Ethan was no longer giving me any information whatsoever, I did my own interrogation. 

"Ethan," I said, one day upon entering the gym with Lenny by my side. "What has been going on?"

"Beats me," he said, moving some stuff around. "I sure as hell would like to know as well."

"You mean...?" I began, watching as he looked over at me. "You don't know?"

"Nope, I don't know who has been doing this or what's been going on," he said. "But whoever it is, they're doing a good job of speeding up your rehabilitation."

"That is true," I admitted.

"You're moving around well," he noticed, full facing me now. "How do your legs feel?"

I looked down at them, they were definitely less skinny than ever before and I felt good, for the first time in a long time I felt extremely happy.

"I think maybe one more week and you should be all good," he said, smiling proudly at me.

"Seriously?" I asked, my eyes lighting up with pure joy.

He nodded, crossing his arms over his chest. "You should get that hair cut by the way," he pointed out. "Long hair doesn't suite you too well doc."

I laughed wholeheartedly and nodded, completely agreeing with him. "I will. Soon, I'm hoping."

"Why don't you just take the day off, then?" he asked. "I've got some things I need to get done today. We'll resume tomorrow and finish this all off. What do you say?"

"Sounds perfect," I said, smiling happily at him. "In that case, I'll just get my haircut today."

"Take care," he called as I left the gym.

I headed down the street to the salon, Lenny following beside me, happy as ever. Once I entered the Salon, however, it was empty and the three workers stood in the middle of the room, smiling at me.

"Ms. Angelina Hansen?" they asked and I nodded, a bit unsure of what to make of the entire situation. "Please, come this way. A very generous person paid for your haircut, a conditioning treatment and a highlight job for you."

"Really?" I asked, a bit happy I didn't have to pay for all those things but also a bit suspicious. "Who paid for it?"

"I'm sorry, the person wished to be left anonymous," one of them said. "Please, have a seat here and we'll get started."

I wasn't really in the mood to deny for a highlight job and a conditioning treatment with the haircut was expensive and I was trying to save money. I shuffled over the checkered floor and took a seat in the chair, the lady draping the cover over the front of me and pulling my hair to the front.

"Wow, I didn't realize how long it was," I admitted, seeing that it was probably the longest it had ever been.

"How much do you want off?" she asked, readying her clips and scissors, slowly and carefully combing my hair.

"Above my shoulders, please. I'd like the ends textured as well," I told her, watching as she snipped off the first few piece of hair.

It was exhilarating and, in a way, the hair was holding me back. It showed just how much I had given up on myself to the point where I couldn't even get a haircut. The experience at the salon was very nice and relaxing. The workers were all very kind and sweet and each complimented my hair every chance they got.

I looked in the mirror, absolutely astonished at how beautiful the outcome was. It was back to be short, above my shoulders, as it was before. My natural blond hair was enhanced with the nearly white-blond highlights and my hair was left smooth and silky after the conditioning treatment.

I felt relieved, as if a weight was lifted off my shoulders, literally.

"Ma'am," one of the workers said, stopping me before I could leave. "Here, these were also left to be delivered to you after your haircut," she explained, handing me the bouquet of red roses and an envelope.

I thanked her and smelled the roses for a moment, basking in their vibrant beauty. I turned my attention to the envelop and opened it, reading the simple sentence within.

Diane's house at 8, wear something nice.