Chapter 51 - Fight And Flee

"When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you
I'll take your part
Oh when darkness comes
And pain is all, is all around
Just like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down"

(R.I.P. Aretha Franklin, a true artist)

Alix's P.O.V.

- "This is just too much for me to take in. So my life is basically a lie?!" I shouted at my dad who flinched.

I didn't give two shits about his hangover. My mom is alive and maybe my dad, my real dad I mean.

- "Alix, please calm down. You have to understand. It was the only option." He responded rubbing his temples.

Only option? Only option!? I could have done something about this! I could have tried and searched for my parents or known the rest of my family, was he fucking kidding me?
There was so much I had missed because of his only option.
And Harley? Why would he do everything to keep me away from her when he isn't even my real dad?!

- "I can't believe you did this to me..." I said mindlessly. My head was so full of questions.

I felt a hand on mine and because I was so out of it, I didn't even try to slap it away, I was just so petrified.

- "Alix, your mom, she hurt me very much, she left you, she hurt you. I just thought she would be better off dead for the two of us. I never knew your dad and he never tried to contact you. I'm so sorry. I just needed to protect you." My dad said, probably hoping I would forgive him.

Instead his words made me snap and I harshly removed my hand from his.

- "Protect me? From what? Being happy? I spent my entire life thinking my mom was dead and that you were the only family I had left. But you're not even my real dad. " I responded not even thinking about how he would feel.

He flinched at my words, but simply looked at me before putting his head down.

- "I'm sorry Alix." He simply responded before getting up and moving towards the door.

I couldn't bring myself to feel pity for him, at least not now when I found out he lied to me my whole life. Not when he once made me choose between him and Harley. Why would he make me do that?

Before he could leave I finally looked at him and asked what I wanted.

- "Why? Why do you care about me and Harley being together? I can understand why you didn't want me to know about my mom or my dad when they abandoned me, even though I still hate you for it, but why did you do everything to see me and Harley apart when you're not even actually my father?" I asked confused has anger grew within me.

He stopped, looking at me and the pain and regret in his face were evident.

- "I wish I could say I did it all because I thought it was best for you, but I would be lying. I guess I wanted to have a family, a normal family, be a dad, be a husband, just have a do over, since the first time it didn't go so well. Besides that, I didn't want you to get hurt. Harley, she had different girls in the house every week when we first moved in with her and Julie. If she used all of those girls back then, then why would she be different with you? I just never wanted you to feel like what it's like to be betrayed by what you love the most. Just the thought of you loving someone made me twist and turn in my bed every night because I never wanted you to go through the pain I went through with Emily. And that's why I felt like I had to protect you, because to you I might not be your father, but to me, you will always be my daughter."