Chapter 27: Misunderstandings and A Whole Lot of Spirit

"GET AWAY FROM HER!" Michael roared, grabbing Anthony's back and hurling him away from me.

"Michael!" I screamed, putting a hand on my mouth.

"Stay back, Keller," he said with a look of rage and concern mixed together. "Stay right where you are."

"Michael, this isn't what you -- no!" I yelled, horrified at the sight of Michael tightening his hold on Anthony's back, pushing him forward. He then whirled Anthony around and Michael pulled back his fist, connecting it to Anthony's jaw.

I heard a terrible crack.

"You think it's fun to take advantage of my fiancée, huh, Wattson?" he said through clenched teeth, flexing his hands from the impact his punch made. "I was beginning to bloody like you and this is what you show me?"

Oh my God! We all knew Michael was going to do something terrible to Anthony when this happened, but we didn't know he'd literally start to pulverize the poor guy to death! And Anthony and I weren't going through with the plan anymore!

This is what you call karma, a voice snickered inside my head.

"Michael, please!" I begged, running toward them.

Anthony was on the ground now, coughing something dark. I saw his jaw redden, and his right brow had a nasty slash, wound popping open. I grabbed Michael's arm because he started making his way toward Anthony once again.

"Stop it! Just stop!"

He whirled around, eyeing me intently, fury evident in his silvery depths. "Why do you care so much about him?" he demanded, his teeth clenched.

I swallowed, glancing at Anthony's lying form on the hard ground, coughing. "He's my friend," was all I said.

"Friend?" he boomed. "You call this bastard your friend?" He pointed toward Anthony, who looked at us with pleading eyes. "After what he tried to do to you, you still think of him as your bloody friend? What kind of rubbish are you attempting at, Keller?"

"We..." I looked away from his dangerous gaze. "We had this idea to make you jealous. I wanted to know if you really cared about me..." At the angry stare he gave me, I winced. "Michael, please don't blame Anthony for this! He just wanted to help me."

I tried to grab his sleeve but he staggered back, his face contorting into a scowl.

I tried harder. "It's not what you think! We weren't going through with the plan anymore. I...I realized it was foolish. I simply wanted out of the plan and make things better between us."

I took a cautious step forward, my voice shaking and my injured foot hurting from each step. "We were supposed to head back to the mansion before seeing you, so that I could prepare. But then I tripped and Anthony crashed on me and I have this sprain that --"

I broke off at the sight of Michael, but regretted doing so. He was silent, jaw clipped, lips pursed, and eyes hard like shards of cold glass.

"Please say something..." I begged, attempting to grab his hand, but stopping when he eyed me once again with thise unfathomable eyes.

"You got what you wanted," he said scornfully in a low, dangerous voice. "I now know you heard me talk to my mother's grave. I know you heard me tell her how much I love you and how much I care about you.

"You've seen my anger when I thought Anthony tried to take advantage of you. You know," he added sarcastically, "why didn't you just make Anthony really take advantage of you to turn everything more realistic and test my affections even more? Huh?" he demanded in a hiss.