chapter 1

Training was hard. Ethan had two blades but lacked the unnatural speed and strength of the two faeries. Keirran was fast and had a sword much longer than Ethan's short blades, meaning he didn't have to put himself at so much risk when trying to kill his opponents. Ash was easily the best of the three. He was blindingly fast and unstoppable with his blade. The other two went easy on me, choosing to ignor some of my mistakes . Ash however was merciless. Every mistake would earn me a swat with his ice cold blade. It stung and the next day I would wake up to a ugly red welt. I knew he was doing this to help me and his training methods worked well but they didn't half hurt.

I swang my blade, hoping to hit his side. I was blocked and before i had a chance to look into his irritated, slightly bored sliver eyes, I found myself doubled over in pain. I gasped, clutching my stomach, before forcing myself to try again. One thing I had learnt very early on in these training sesions was that Ash didn't like it if you get side tracked in the middle of a fight, even if you are gravely wounded. If you have the strenght to aim one more blow, you must try.

"Better." I felt a rare smile creeping up. Ash rarely gave praise. "But you still have a long way to go. You need to stop using your sword like that. Let it become a part of you, like a natural extension of your arm."

"I know I need to do that its just........ how do you make a piece of metal become a part of you?"

"Not literally." Ethan said, rolling his eyes, but he was smiling.

"I know I'm not that stupid." He raised his eyebrows, mocking me. "I just dont get how you do it." The feeling I had had when I had first taken the steel sword from Keirran had gone.I had felt powerful, as though this sword was made for me. That was until Ash had told me to try and hit him. Drunk on the feeling I had tryed, only to recieve a painful wack on my ribs for leaning my heart unprotected. Later Keirran had told me that Ash was the best sword fighter in the whole of faery, and that he had trained Meghan and himself. That made me feel better, but that invincible feeling hade gone.

Ash cocked two fingers at me. "Again."