Marco ━ Gone

EDITED

This is just short, I got this idea when I was bored.

Titans continue to invade Trost. Unfortunately, you and your fellow comrades are already running out of gas, leaving you stuck. You didn't expect something as tragic as this to be your first experience with titans and you feel terrified by it.

You are assigned to Jean Kirschtein's squad, along with Marco, Annie, and Reiner.

You aren't close to Annie and you casually talked to Reiner. However, you're close friends with Marco, and your friendship with him led to a close friendship with Jean as well.

Currently, you are brainstorming and strategizing to refill your gas tanks. You may not be as strong as Mikasa, but you are definitely as smart as Armin and you thrive working with a team even when placed with people you barely know.

"That's a smart plan, (y/n)." Jean says, ruffling your hair.

"Hey, stop it, Jean." You whine playfully.

Marco smiles at the sight of his two friends getting along. Despite the obvious heavy tension in the air, the two of you manage a lighthearted attempt. The five of you ready your 3dmg gear and launch into the air with Jean leading the group and the four of you following closely behind.

You manage to get to your destination safely without any bruises or scratches. Letting out a sigh, you finish refilling your gas tank and you sit beside Jean and Marco. You patiently wait for them to do the same. They seem to be in a conversation, but they let you join in on it.

Marco talks about Jean being a great leader and a spark of hope lights up in the said male's eyes as he receives encouragement from a trusted friend. You nod in agreement with him, knowing he's in the best position to lead the group among the five of you. Jean offers both of you a kind smile and you return it.

O ══════════════════ O 

"M-Marco, what's wrong?" Jean asks, looking at his best friend who has tears welling in his eyes.

He found him by himself and his friend seems to be in utter shock. He couldn't figure out what happened and it only worries him more. He gives Marco a concerned look as if asking him to tell him.

"S-she sacrificed h-her life..." Marco trails off.

"Who did?" Jean gulps.

"(Y/n)..."

Jean freezes as he hears your name escape his lips. He knows full well how much you mean to Marco. You are his best friend, like a brother. And more importantly, he knows how much Marco loves you.

"W-What happened to her?" Jean asks, looking around to make sure they're hidden safely.

"A t-titan grabbed me, and she quickly came to save me. S-She cut the titan's arm off and it released me, but it ran after her. When I l-looked to find her, the titan had already devoured her..." Marco says, more tears spilling from his eyes.

Jean could sense Marco's urge to break down. He quickly places his hands on his shoulders, wanting to give him some solace.

"I'm so sorry, Marco..." Jean's eyes cast downward at the news.

Marco wipes away his tears and forces a smile on his face. Jean takes notice of this. He watches as Marco slowly regains his newly profound strength. He knows what makes Marco move on and forward - it's his undying love for you.

Jean knows all too well that Marco would continue to fight for you. Even though you had already disappeared, you remain in his heart. Jean watches as Marco stands tall in front of him, more determined than ever. He is unable to bring you back, but the least he could do is not let your sacrifice be in vain.

"Jean, let's go." Marco clenches his fist with a smile.

"O-okay. Are you sure you're ready to fight?" Jean asks.

"I'm ready. If I'm fighting for her, I will fight until it's all over." Marco replies.

"She would've been so proud of you." Jean pats his back and Marco smiles again.

They take off with their 3dmg once again. Marco's eyes reflect courage and power. He swings his blades, taking his anger and sorrow out. Finally, he kills the titan that devoured you. A small tear leaves his eye as if finally saying goodbye. However, he knows that you are watching him and he wants to make you proud.

He was fighting for the love you had left him, and you were up there holding on to the love he gave you.

He fought because he knew you were never gone.