Chapter Sixty-Eight

The urge to launch forward and attack both of her parents remained prominent in Renata's mind, but at the same time, she knew better

The urge to launch forward and attack both of her parents remained prominent in Renata's mind, but at the same time, she knew better. She was well aware that they hadn't hesitated to hurt their own children in various ways, what made her believe that they were going to show Harry any mercy? After all, Alcina had clearly labelled Harry as the source of the problem when it came to controlling Renata. She knew very well that Renata wasn't going to do anything to jeopardise Harry's life and that certainly was the make-it-or-break-it moment. But in order to break her "stubborn stride" as her parents claimed, they didn't have to hurt Harry. They just had to dangle the child over Renata's head long enough and she would cave in, just to make sure that he remained unharmed.

It was cruel and beyond insane of her parents to go after an innocent child, a three-year-old, in order to gain control over Renata again. Renata's legs shook violently beneath her as she was losing the ability to stand properly at what she was witnessing at the time. Her mother's wand pressed into the side of Harry's head as he continued to sleep. Meanwhile, Alcina wore a bright smile as she knew she had the upper hand over her daughter and she couldn't have been more thrilled at the time.

"Mamma, you can't do this," Renata looked directly at her, "he's just a child, he's only three years old. Look at what you're doing in order to get me to comply, you threatening to hurt a child in front of me. Does this not seem wrong to you?"

"No, Renata," Alcina answered her as the smile faded from her lips, " what I deem wrong is all the potential you are willing to sacrifice for this child when he's not even your son in the first place. You didn't give birth to him, how can you love something so much, when it doesn't even belong to you?"

"Perhaps because he's not something, he's someone," Renata corrected her, " and he's a beautiful child in so many ways. I didn't need to give birth to him in order to love him, there are so many forms of love, something I don't think you understand, Mamma. I don't think you even understand what love is because you think you love Adelmo and me, but all you do is bring us pain. I love Harry because all I want is for him to be happy-"

"Your father and I want you and Adelmo to be happy-"

"No, you want us to be perfect! You only find happiness in the idea of being surrounded by perfection. That's not loving. I love Harry and everything about him. I'll love him with his flaws and I'll love him when he makes mistakes because even if I don't like something he does in the future, that's part of him. It's a learning process, Mamma, people are learning every day. And seeing that growth is far more beautiful than hiding behind this false image of perfection you have created for this family and others. I would just be honoured to witness Harry grow up and be part of his life, whether I was his mother or not."

"I can't imagine why," Nencio chuckled from where he sat, shaking his head, " you have all this potential, Renata, and you're willing to waste it on this child."

"What exactly am I wasting?" she questioned in confusion. "How is anything going to waste if he grows up to be happy and cared for? You claimed that's what you wanted for me and Adelmo, you wanted us to be happy, right? How is this any different? Because I didn't give birth to him is your argument but that hasn't stopped me from treating him as my own and that hasn't stopped Harry from looking at me as a mother figure. He calls me Mummy-"