126. Resolution [END]

126. Resolution

Multi-coloured confetti cracked out of poppers and soared to my face. Sae and Sui, sitting beside me, gaped, appalled--

"Happy Birthday, Sae and Sui!" everyone raised their voices above tolerant levels of a hospital.

Sae and Sui cheered, "yayyy!!"

Laughing dryly, I facepalmed. Not another moment later, Nurse Fujimiya kicked the door down with warnings of throwing people out of the hospital.

Settling back down, the party began. The cold, wintry air of Christmas brimmed white as the icing on the cake. Laughter and giggles in forcefully hushed tones tasted much sweeter than the sugary goodness in the chiffon cake Kyoko baked.

It was the twins' birthday-- yet, things were so much more different than a year ago. Last year-- Dad baked a huge cake, and we had nearly the whole neighborhood over for a home Christmas Party. It was a beautiful White Christmas, freezing but breathtaking, with even fireworks to end the holy night.

This year, I enjoyed company too-- but on a much smaller, quieter scale. It did not snow, and we were indoors from the frosty outdoor cold. Inside my hospital room, we had to be quiet and calm, yet joyful giggles were prominent. 

Byakuran was having a little hot chocolate party at the side with Dera and Takeshi. Tsuna was joining in, having been offered some marshmallows for company. 

Reborn was holding some sort of Christmas game thing that included Ryohei and Ken fighting over who could eat metal faster. Chrome looked very, very worried. 

Mukuro and Hibari were engaged in a deadly game of shogi because I asked them not to engage in physical violence in the hospital room. Gamma was coerced to become the overseer of their game, poor him.

Chikusa and Kusakabe were sitting at the side, wondering why they chose to follow murderous sociopaths. Romario soon joined in. Those who could drink were stealing sips of Sake, and Dr Kunomasu was part of the idiocy. 

The girls were chatting-- about what? they drifted all over the place-- from love interests, to future plans, to life and to shopping matters and even to their worries of weight gain. The children-- Lambo, I-pin, Bluebell and Yuni were quietly eating cake, fighting over who had a bigger piece.

I myself talked with whoever spoke to me, stuck in my hospital bed and watching the world unfold before me in strangely anticlimactic peace.

I thought of Dad-- and wondered if he was watching us.

"Rei, look at this!" Sui hugged a red kitten plushie to herself, "isn't it cute?"

Sae hugged her blue kitten plushie with a wide grin, "Look, they match!"

The sight of that made me giggle. Maybe deep inside, the sight of my younger sisters growing up made me very melancholic about a lot of things. 

"Rei wasn't allowed to go out of the hospital, so he doesn't have a present prepared, right?" Takeshi said in jest, "most of us were too busy to help him buy things, too!"