vii

Chapter Seven: Brunch, Take One

Jeongguk's Saturday had been quiet, thankfully. He had come home from the party a little after three, the devil's hour and finally fallen asleep at four o'clock. He had spent his Saturday on his phone, doing practically nothing; he had finished his homework, watched Netflix and gone out for a walk to take pictures.

      Now it was Sunday and the gentle rays of the sun flowed through the open window, giving him a warm morning kiss on the cheek. It was early and he was still in bed, observing the sky out of his window with drowsy eyes. He adored the mornings, how quiet the world was, how no one was around but the birds, and they would sing while they flew out of their nests to find food for their young.

      Jeongguk liked to wake up before everyone to get in those few hours of silence. He wouldn't do much, just walk around the house, watch the world out of the window, take pictures in the garden and make himself some breakfast.

      This morning, however, he didn't want to get up. His eyes were heavy and his blanket was soft. Instead of watching the clouds drift above in the sky, he browsed his phone, going through Instagram. Many had posted photos from the party, some of which he was in. He barely noticed the hours stealing away slowly but surely, until the sun was high up in the sky and it wasn't exactly early anymore. Only then, he got out of bed, threw on some clothes and went downstairs. His mother was already in the kitchen, stirring in a bowl. She looked up when she heard him come in.

      "Good morning sleepyhead," she said. "You're up later than usual."

      Jeongguk rubbed his eyes and sat down at the table. He eyed the clock on the oven. "It's not even ten. Why are you awake anyway?"

      His mother usually slept in on Sundays. Being a doctor, she was usually extremely drained after the week. Still she smiled. "This morning I have to prepare for guests."

      The brunch would start at eleven. His mother was making pancakes, stirring the batter in a bowl. There was fruit on the table, everything yet to be cut and chocolate chips in a bowl by the stove, ready to be melted in a bain-marie. He was getting hungry from just looking at all the food, but his mother was keeping a close eye on him so there was no way to even sneak a berry. So, instead of stealing, he offered to help.

      As he cut up strawberries, bananas and apples, his mind wandered. He found himself returning to the party––so much had happened.

      Jimin. Yoongi. Nari. Taehyung. Mina.

      After he had left the bedroom, he and Jimin had run into each other in the front room. Yoongi had left only a moment before and Jimin had gone looking for him. His friend had been very drunk, from either the alcohol or a fluttering heart, probably both and had been more than happy when Jeongguk suggested they drove home. They had left without saying goodbye.